History From America's Most Famous Valleys
Little Falls, Chartered 1811
150 Years of Progress, 1961
Excerpts will be used from this book.
Map of the City of Little Falls, 1961 use your back button to return to this page.
BURROWS-MOHAWK PAPER MILLS
On February 3rd, 1903, the Hoffman Paper Co. was incorporated by William Hoffman, Rush Lewis, William Lansing and J. W. Thorp, and a mill was built near the end of West Main Street. The firm failed and was reorganized in 1913, with Charles Burrows as manager of the new company. During World War I business prospered. The old Little Falls Paper Mill on East Mill Street burned in 1916 and Charles Burrows and his brother Andrew Burrows purchased the building in 1920.
Previous to the enlargement of the Erie Canal, just before the Civil War, the Mohawk river flowed on both sides of Rosecrans Island. When the ends of the channel were filled in, and the river diverted to the north channel, water power was developed in the constricted channel. In 1852, Eben Britten Waite and William Page built a dam on the Mohawk, using the old Inland Canal as a raceway, and in 1854 a paper mill was built on the site of the present Burrows Paper Corporation mill. The New York "Times" and "Tribune" at one time used rag paper made in this mill. In 1888 Amos Holden and Holland Church organised the Little Falls Paper Co. and bought the plant.
On February 25, 1916, there was a fire in the plant and in 1920 Burrows purchased the mill and Andrew Burrows moved to Little Falls as treasurer of the new firm.
After the death of Andrew Burrows, on November 28, 1949, his son, Ralph, became president of the firm. Charles Burrows retired in 1950 and passed away on January 13, 1958, at Skaneateles, N. Y. In 1954 the former National Automotive Fibres building was purchased as part of the Burrows-Mohawk Mills. In addition they own a mill in Phoenix, N. Y.
Ralph Burrows is president of the four companies, the Phoenix mill, the Burrows Tissue Co., the Mohawk Valley Paper Co., and the Burrows Paper Co. Tissue paper and products are manufactured.
The Little Frocks Dress Shop is located in the Burrows-Mohawk building on West Main Street. This was originally built as a warehouse by the Phoenix Underwear Co., and at one time housed the National Automotive Fibres, which was one of our leading industries.
The Little Frocks started in business in Little Falls in 1943, when Felix Sandri, who was the manager of a dress shop in St. Johnsville, took over the Bronner Garage on Lansing Street and opened the Sandri Dress Shop. Mr. Sandri also was manager of a dress shop in the old Phoenix Mill, on South Second Street, and was the first local man to inaugurate the idea of music while you work. Mr. Sandri later purchased the Bronner Garage Building, then occupied by Whitcomb's Garage, and was employing 150 when he unfortunately passed away at the age of 52, on August 13, 1947. Eugene Pawluk, who was with Mr. Sandri, became General Manager and carried on the business, which was owned by a New York company. In 1955 the dress shop moved to the Burrows'Mohawk building on West Main Street. The name was changed to the National Blouse in 1949, and to the Little Frocks in 1952.
Oscar Spielberger is the president, Theodore Spielberger is the treasurer and secretary. The manager is Henry Rechtschaffer. The products are ladies' dresses, which are shipped without boxing to New York in custom-built tractor trailers.
GILBERT KNITTING COMPANY
<-Gilbert's Old Grain Elevator on the Erie Canal.
As early as 1831 there was a paper mill on the site of the present Gilbert Knitting Co. on Elizabeth Street. It was operated at various times by Sprague and Dann, and Eaton and Young. In the power map of 1836, after the Ellice Estate had sold out, a canal was projected and twenty-one lots surveyed. A dam was built from the east end of Hansen Island, so there would be no conflict with the state dam at the old Inland Canal lock. Later E. L. Sheppard built a shoddy mill here and Jacob Guwitz built a saw mill.
In 1857 Charles Bailey came to Little Falls to work in Seth Stitt's woolen mill, and in 1862, with his brother-in-law Jerry Mitchell, started a shoddy mill on the Gilbert site. The Little Falls Knitting Mill was organized in October 1872, to operate on this site, with Titus Sheard as president, D. H. Burrell, secretary, and J. J. Gilbert, treasurer.
Joshua Judson Gilbert was born in Utica, September 4, 1821, and came to Little Falls in 1854 because of thei abundant water power. He erected a stone mill the same year at the lower dam for the manufacture of corn starch, andlater built the old elevator to convey the grain from the Erie Canal to the mill. This mill later became the Astacraga Knitting Mill, a part of the Gilbert enterprises. After the death of Mr. Gilbert, February 5, 1881, Charles Bailey was president until he sold his interest in 1900 and moved to Fort Plain. In 1888 J. Judson Gilbert, the son of Joshua J. Gilbert, converted the starch factory to a knitting mill and after the death of his father, was president of the Gilbert enterprises until his death on January 12, 1925. The mills have been enlarged, notably in 1906, and today operate partly on water power. Articles manufactured are sweat shirts, sweat pants, hoods and wool cloth.
Officers of the company are: president and treasurer Arthur Van der Gracht; vice president, Joseph L. Hudson secretary, William Hamilton; treasurer, Francis J. Skinner.
As previously mentioned the islands in the Mohawk at Little Falls were granted to Peter Winnie in 1741. During the Revolutionary War, when Brant raided the German Flatts in 1781, the wife of Col. Peter Bellinger, who was a sister of General Herkimer, rowed out to Hansen Island with her children, where she hid out for two days.
The title to the island was later secured by the Ellice Estate, by Rodney Durkee and by Judge Benton.
In 1874 Christian Hansen began to manufacture rennet in Denmark and in 1878 a friend, J. D. Frederiksen, emigrated to the United States and became the agent for Hansen's products. In those days Little Falls was the center of the cheese market for which reason, in 1881, Mr. Frederiksen moved the business to this city on two canal boats. At first the laboratory was east of Second Street on the New York Central, but as business expanded a larger building was necessary, so Lock Island was purchased in 1890. Originally it was only a few feet above the water, but a wall was built, rock was blasted from the river bed, and a bridge to Lock Street was constructed.
As business increased, other products were added to the Junket Brands Foods, additions were built to the laboratory in 1916 and 1938, and in 1949. A modern warehouse was built on Route 5, west of the city, in 1951.
On October 1, 1958, the operations of the "Junket" Brand Foods Division of Chr. Hansen's Laboratory, Inc., were acquired by Salada-Shirriff-Horsey, Inc. The Little Falls plant and warehouse became partners with the Salada Tea operations in Boston, in the Salada-Junket Division of this international packaged food company.
The laboratories at the plant have been expanded to become the Research and Development Center for the entire Salada-Shirriff'Horsey products.
J. William Horsey is chairman of the board of Salada-Shirriff-Horsey Inc., and Grant Horsey is president. A. E. Beeby is vice president and general manager of the Salada-Junket Division. Harold MacRorie is plant manager of the Little Falls and Woburn, Mass. plants; Dr. T. F. Irmiter is associate director of research and development; and A. C. Benjamin is director of special projects.
H. P. SNYDER MANUFACTURING CO., INC.
Homer P. Snyder was born in Amsterdam, N. Y. on December 6, 1863, and learned the knit goods business when a youth. In 1886, at the age of only twenty-three, he came to Little Falls to be superintendent of the Saxony Mill. In 1890, with Michael Fisher, he began the manufacture of an improved knitting machine attachment, but he continued as superintendent of the Saxony until 1896 when the bicycle craze was at its height, and with Fisher engaged in the manufacture of safety, or low, bicycles. Previously, the knitting machines were manufactured in a building on East Mill Street and in 1895 the first of the buildings were built at West Main and Sixth Streets. To encourage the prospective purchaser, a cycling academy was constructed on the top floor of the new building and graduates were very proficient, as it was necessary to dodge the pillars which supported the roof. As business increased, additions were built, the last being built in 1960. Homer Snyder served in Congress 1914-1925 and was chairman of Indian Affairs. Congressman Snyder passed away December 30, 1937. For many years Mr. Snyder served as president and treasurer of the company. However, approximately at the time he entered politics, Col. E. H. Teall, Mr. Snyder's son-in-law, became president and remained in this office until his demise in 1937. Since then, other presidents of the firm have been: Homer S. Teall, 1938-1941; Edward S. Van Valkenburg, 1942-1944.; Harry W. Snyder, 1944-present. Other officers at present: Burnett E. Schneider, vice president; Bertrom C. Flint, secretary.
Although the principal product through the years has been bicycles, they have also made velocipedes and exercisers, while during both World Wars a variety of products was produced for the United States Government.
LITTLE FALLS FELT SHOE CO.
living Stacey was born in Little Falls on April 22, 1864. Back in 1889, when this village was the center of the cheese market, he organized the Stacey Cheese Brokerage Co. in a building which is part of the present Little Falls Felt Shoe Co. group. As the demand for milk by New York City and the condensed milk factories took away the supply for local area cheese factories, he decided to engage in the felt shoe business.
In 1905 the Little Falls Felt Shoe Co. was organized and the building of Sheard's Eagle Mills, at the southeast corner of West Main and Sixth Streets, was purchased.
The first superintendent was Mr. Freigang, but he soon left and Frank Engel, who was with the Dolges in Dolgeville, was engaged. Business prospered and additions were built in 1917, 1920, and finally in 1938 the last addition joined the Pelt Shoe group with the cheese market building on John Street. In 1919 a branch was established in St. Johnsville.
On November 30, 1938, Irving Stacey passed away and Prank Engel became president and Charles Brown superintendent. On Mr. Engel's death, which occurred July 12, 1943, Frank M. Simpson became president. He passed away on February 23, 1957, and Stacey Simpson, grandson of the founder, became president. The other officers are: Samuel M. Simpson, vice president; Richard Rasch, secretary and treasurer; John Kopek, assistant treasurer; and Marcus Wood, superintendent. Its only products are slippers.
ART BACKING CO.
While the Art Backing Co. is one of Little Falls' newer industries, it occupies a site which is probably the most historic in the city.
Just west of here John Joost Petrie built the first mill in Herkimer County, around 1725, which was burned by the British and Indians during the Revolution.
In 1820 the Ellice Estate sold the corner, which the Art Backing Co. occupies, to William Ingham for a fulling mill, and this was the first water power lot they sold. Around 1845-50 Henry Cheney came to Little Falls from Fly Creek and operated a hammer manufacturing shop in the Ingham Mill. The Inghams must have continued to be financially interested, for when Mr. Cheney died in 1879, a stock company was formed and Schuyler Ingham was the president. In 1925 Elmer Mulford came to Little Falls and operated the Cheney Hammer Co. until 1954, when the firm was sold and moved away.
In April, 1955, Wilfred Dunn organized the Art Backing Co. to manufacture shoe backs, which is the principal product. The officers of the firm are: W. J. Dunn, president; and David Dunn, secretary and treasurer.
STAFFORD AND HOLT, INC.
Back in 1888, when Little Falls was the center of the knit goods business, Wyman Eaton and Walter Stafford were manufacturing an improved type of knitting machine. In 1896 Robert Holt became a partner and in 1897 the machine shop was moved to Rockton Island, near where the Queensboro Dairy Plant stands today. There was a fire in the shop on August 2, 1901, and at that time they were also manufacturing an automatic cigar vending machine, which shows that coin vending machines are not at all a recent invention. After the fire they moved into the upper floors of the old Elbeof Mill, where the plant is located today.
Part of this building, which has been burned, flooded, and rebuilt many times, was the saw mill of Arphaxed Loomis in 1841. On February 10, 1842, the canal feeder broke, damaging the mill. In 1835 George Beardslee of Albany was making paper of basswood in the building. On October 13, 1858, the mill was destroyed in the big Mill Street fire. During the Civil War the building was rebuilt in its present dimensions and operated as a woolen mill by Stitt and Underbill, with the adjoining Mohawk Mill. In the big flood of March 17, 1865, the factory was being refurbished when the water rose, and a large tree, coming down the flooded Mohawk, entered a window and pried out the entire south wall, dumping the crates of new machinery into the river. A. T. Stewart, the New York merchant, bought the mills in 1876, and the Electric Light Co. was located on the first floor from 1896 to 1911, when the present hydro-electric plant was built. Robert Holt passed away on June 1, 1928, Walter Stafford on July 21, 1935 and James Bronner, who had been vice president since 1928, became the president of the firm. Fred Fox, who joined the company in 1902 and was secretary-treasurer, died June 1, 1960, at his desk.
VINCENT MANUFACTURING CO.
Prank Vincent was born in Little Falls on November 1, 1861, and in the nineties began to manufacture mattresses in a factory on Southern Avenue. He always recalled that his dad, who was born here July 10, 1824, saw the first railroad train pass through the village in 1836.
Frank Vincent died on September 12, 1951, and his son, Neely, who had been a partner a number of years, moved the business to the old Phoenix Mill on the north side of West Mill Street in 1952. This building was built during the booming years of the knit goods industry.
Neely Vincent is president of the firm and Mary Vincent is vice president. Cotton batts are manufactured.
ALLEGRO SHOE CO.
The Allegro Shoe Co. was formed in 1949 by the Cosmos Shoe Co. of New York, and in 1950 began the manufacture of ladies' play shoes in the old MacKinnon Mill at the southwest corner of Mill and Ann Streets, and is today one of our leading industries. Mrs. Edith Daniels is the president; Mr. A. Klinger is the secretary and treasurer; and Frank Mendl is the superintendent.
This building was built by Robert MacKinnon in 1900, and was opened for inspection at a banquet given November 6 in the building for employees and local citizens, who had raised $30,000 to aid in the construction. At the same time he was operating a knitting mill in the building at the northeast corner of Second and Mill Streets. Between one and two thousand were employed, but in 1910 he failed and the Phoenix Underwear Co. was formed to operate the mill. In 1928 the Phoenix moved to Statesville, N. C. and the knit goods business was on the decline.
The Little Falls Industrial Committee was formed during the depression, with Thomas McTiernan as chairman, and they can be proud of their efforts, as they brought the Melrose Slipper Co. to Little Falls in 1934 to occupy this building. Israel Berman was the president and Harry Rudner the superintendent, and business prospered until they liquidated in July, 1949.
The Allegro Shoe Co. occupies all six floors of this and their product is ladies' shoes.
C. J. LUNDSTROM MFG. CO.
The C. J. Lundstrom Mfg. Co. has been manufacturingsectional bookcases for many years in the old Saxony Mill on Mill Street. Carl J. Lundstrom was born in Stockholm, Sweden and when he first came to Little Falls, he was apatent attorney. He patented a sectional bookcase which was manufactured in Casler's Saw Mill on Southern Ave. He purchased the Saxony Mill in 1901, but didn't move in until 1904. The Lundstrom sectional bookcase is known all over the United States and through the years other wood products have been manufactured: victrola cases, end tables, end bookcases and filing cabinets. At one time he manufactured cabinets for Victrolas, manufactured by the Victor Talking Machine Co.
Mr. C. J. Lundstrom died April 17, 1943, and his son, Valfrid Lundstrom, was president until his death on Decemberber 31, 1958. The officers of the company now are: Helen Lundstrom, president; Agnes Oppel, treasurer and secrtary; and Samuel Zambri, vice president.
The Saxony Mill has considerable history attached to it having been built in 1850 by Trumbull and French for the manufacture of woolen cloth and ingrain carpets. James Aldrich, who had a store on Main Street, was also a partner and power was secured from the Mill Street raceway. In 1852 Martin Priest purchased the mill and in a few months sold it to Seth Stitt, who at one time operated the Saxony, the Wool Growers Manufacturing Co., still standing next to the river on South Ann Street, and the Elboef Mill. On February 13, 1872, Stitt sold the mill to Amos King of Catskill, who came here with his son, Charles King, and they began the manufacture of knit goods. When Amoy King died in December, 1891, his son, Charles, must have - been one of the first of the share-the-wealth advocates, for he divided $9,000 between all employees who had worked from 1872 to 1895. Charles King was very popular in Little Falls and was the first mayor when Little Falls became a city in 1895.
RICHARDS DRESS CO.
The Richards Dress Co., which is located in the old Phoenix Mill at the northeast corner of Mill and Second Streets, is the successor of several firms which were started back in the depression, when the Little Falls Industrial Commitree brought the Mohawk Valley Manufacturing Co. to this city. At first the dress shop was located at 380 South Ann Street and, in 1936, moved to the present quarters in the Phoenix Mill.
The Mohawk Valley Manufacturing Co. was later liquidated and the Little Falls Dress Shop took over the location and machinery. The firm was later sold to Suzann Ross and operated under the name of Suz-Ann Fashions. Today the trade name is the Rogers Dress Co. and Adolph Hochhauser is president and Peter Mione is manager.
JARO FOOTWEAR CO.
The Jaro Footwear Co. was founded in June, 1955, by Harry Siegel for the manufacture of women's slippers. In 1956 the company was organised as a partnership, with Siegel and Mannie Green, and operations were carried on in a plant in Herkimer.
In 1957 the plant was moved to Little Falls in the Mac-Kinnon Mill at the northeast corner of Mill and Second Streets. The products manufactured are women's casuals.
MERRYL DRESS CO.
In 1942 the M & A Sportswear Co. began operations in the MacKinnon Mill on Second Street. Later the firm was purchased by ElBee Cottons, who on March 20, 1954, sold the plant to Leonard and Abraham Meri of New York, who operated under the name of the Lenabe Co. In 1958 the trade name was the Merryl Dress Co.
Today the president is Oscar Spielberger; secretary and treasurer, Teddy Spielberger.
Ladies' dresses are manufactured.
The Reed Tissues is a paper processing manufacturing firm, located in the Phoenix building, east of the Mac-Kinnon Second Street mill. After the Phoenix moved to The south, George Holland Jones purchased the building on June 10, 1928. Reginald Cone was then superintendent of the Walton Co., a paper processing firm, located in the Burrows plant on East Mill Street.
In September, 1929, the Reed Tissues Corporation was formed with Edward Reed as president, George Holland Jones as treasurer, Loomis Burrell as vice president, and Reginald Cone as general manager.
Today the officers are: Reginald Cone, president; Harry Suits, secretary; Loomis Burrell, vice president; and R. T. Cone, treasurer.
The products are tissues, cleaning tissues, toilet paper and folded paper towels. Since 1946 they have specialised in custom-designed wrapping papers in colors, and the major item manufactured today is private-design printed papers, used in the packaging fields.
P & K DRESS SHOP
The P & K Dress Shop was organized in 1957, with Eugene Pawluk as president and Eric Kupfer as secretary and treasurer. Ladies' dresses and robes are manufactured in the Cherry'Burrell Mill on the north side of East Mill Street. Mr. Pawluk was foreman for Felix Sandri in the Lansing Street dress shop in 1946.
J. R. STYRES LEATHER GOODS
One of Little Falls' newer industries is the leather shop of James Styres. Mr. Styres began the manufacture of gloves, moccasins, jackets and other leather goods from the hunters' own deer hides about fifteen years ago. He now has a shop, showroom and retail outlet on Route 5, two miles east of Little Falls. He does a large mail order business with hunters and recently opened a retail store in Cooperstown.
Cheese Making and Dairy Industry In Herkimer County
From ancient times, long before refrigeration was ever dreamed of, cheese making has been a means of preserving milk. After the Revolution Nathan Arnold came to Herkimer County and settled on the Middleville road above Eastman's hill. His wife was a cheese maker, and probably produced the first Herkimer County cheese, around 1800.
Dairying was very primitive in those days; cows were stabled in lean-to's, milking was done out of doors, and only in the months when the roads were passable, before winter set in. By 1840, however, dairymen began to be more prosperous and milking barns were built and frame houses replaced their log cabins.
There are many stories as to why Herkimer County played such an important part in the Cheese and Dairy Industry. Some say it was all due to Harry Burrell, others attribute it to the soil which produces such abundant crops of grass, but here is my favorite version:
During the Revolution, Herkimer County was noted as a wheat producer and much grain was shipped down the Mohawk river on scows, to feed Washington's starving Army. After the war was over the local farmers continued to plant wheat.
The year 1816 was the first of a series of cold years in this section. It was so warm in January that no fires were kept (don't forget, people wore heavy woolens in those days).
In April it snowed and in June there was a blizzard. July and August had snow flurries and the wheat did not ripen. The grass, however, grew well, the cattle were well fed, and those depending on milk or beef made money, while the wheat farmers had no returns.
With the opening of lands in the West, the local wheat farmers never regained their markets, but turned to cattle raising. After 1825 the Erie Canal began to bring grain from Western New York to compete with local producers. With no auto trucks to take the surplus milk to New York, or in fact even into town, the farmers made cheese. In 1851 Jesse Williams of Rome conceived the cheese factory idea, where all the farmers brought their milk to a central place and an expert manufactured the cheese, although many continued to make their own. Avery and Ives, of Salisbury, built the first Herkimer County cheese factory.
Cheese was sold by the dairymen on long time credit, and some dealers were not at all fair regarding the price. They would visit each farm, haggle over the price and advance a small payment. Before the Civil War Samuel Perry attempted to purchase all the cheese in the county, but the war bankrupted him and many producers lost money. At first a few dairymen brought their cheese to Little Falls, selling house to house or to local dealers. Buyers soon learned that it was easier to test and buy the cheese in town than to drive out in the country, and producers found that with several agents, who paid cash, they received a fair deal. Little Falls gradually became the center of the cheese market and after 1861 an open air market was held here, along the streets.
In January 1871 the Board of Trade for the cheese market was established in Little Falls. Meetings were held in the ballroom of the Evans House, which stood at the northwest corner of Ann and John Streets, the proprietor of which was Nathan Boyle, father of George W. Boyle. The building is used today by Hap Steele's Garage, and as late as 1955 the lettering was visible on the wall, " N. Y. State Dairymen's Association, Board of Trade." A telegraph line was strung to the railroad and the prices of cheese quoted here was the price asked in New York City. In 1872 the price was between twelve and thirteen cents a pound.
In 1873 the Market Square was along Main Street and dairymen would drive into town with their wagons loaded with samples of cheese and park here. The New York and Philadelphia buyers would arrive on the Sunday afternoon train and take the horse drawn bus to the local hotels. They were always dressed in the height of fashion, in high hats, and must have attracted attention, especially from the young ladies of that period. Monday was a lively day in town, for all the buyers were good spenders. They would go from wagon to wagon testing the cheese and making offers. On Thursdays the dairymen would drive into town and line up on John Street, loaded with their cheese that was to be shipped. The freight house then was located where the local passenger station now stands. In the year 1869 a total of 7,421,595 boxes of cheese was shipped out of here. In 1858 Xerxes A. Willard was editor of the Herkimer County Journal and later, in 1864, became editor of the Utica Herald and in 1869 became editor of the Rural New Yorker.
His glowing accounts of the cheese business in Herkimer County encouraged the dairymen in the West to turn to cheese manufacturing. Herkimer County production began to decline and the local dairymen used to remark, jestingly, that they should have hired X. A. Willard not to write these articles.
The story of the Cherry-Burrell Corporation is a history of the dairy industry. In 1826, before the days of the Erie Canal and Schenectady and Utica Railroad, Harry Burrell of Salisbury began shipping cheese to New York by wagon to Albany, and down the Hudson by boat. As business prospered, he extended his markets to Philadelphia and to England. In 1868 David H. Burrell, Sr., son of Harry Burrell, made a trip to England to salvage a debt and this journey had a pronounced effect on the dairy industry in, the United States. He found that the British demanded a more uniform size and quality of their cheese, so upon returning he decided to improve the machinery and supplies. He formed a partnership with Rodney Whitman and a dairy equipment store was opened on Main Street in the Ashley block, the site of the present J. C. Penney Store.
As business prospered, in 1880 the firm moved to the site of the old Presbyterian church at the southeast corner of Ann and Albany Streets. The following year he obtained the rights to the first centrifugal cream separator in the United States.
In 1880 Mr. Burrell introduced the ensilage system which, today, has resulted in milking the cows most of the months of the year. As the cheese production declined local dairymen began to ship milk to New York, at first by refrigerated railroad cars, and later by auto trucks.
As business increased additions were built, adjoining the Ann Street building-in 1906, 1907, 1922, 1927 and 1937, until Burrell's occupied most of the block.
David H. Burrell passed away on January 13, 1919, and business continued to grow under the management of his brother, Edward Burrell, and sons, David H. Burrell, Jr., and Loomis Burrell.
In 1928 D. H. Burrell & Co. joined six other firms in the same line of business to form the Cherry-Burrell Corp, Loomis becoming chairman of the board and David H. Burrell, one of the vice presidents.
In 1940 the old Barnet Leather Co. buildings on East Mill Street were purchased and during World War II, were converted to war work, manufacturing parts for the Air Force of the United States. On July 14, 1954, work was begun on a modern addition to the Mill Street plant and the old Anchor Mill, where the first knit goods were made in Little Falls, was torn down. Gradually operations were concentrated in the Mill Street buildings and in 1958 the old buildings were closed entirely.
Today, the officers of the firm are: Howard H. Cherry, Jr., president; two local men, Edwin Fisher and Harold Barnes, vice presidents; Andrew Ackerman, division manager; Arthur Zenger, works manager; Walter Laun, engineering manager; Earl Cornwell, accounting manager; Donald McCully, personnel manager; and William Beischer, quality control manager.
The manufactured products are: storage tanks for liquids, up to 20,000 gallons; heat exchangers, processing vats, bulk milk tanks, pumps, pipes and conveying equipment.
Loomis Burrell and his brother, David H. Burrell, Jr., have retired and are residents of our city.
Photos of the Cheese Industry. Use your back button to return to this page.
Copyright © 1998, -- 2003. Berry Enterprises. All rights reserved. All items on the site are copyrighted. While we welcome you to use the information provided on this web site by copying it, or downloading it; this information is copyrighted and not to be reproduced for distribution, sale, or profit.