History From America's Most Famous Valleys
The Book of
Especially Relating to The Early Palatines and the First Settlers in the
Compiled and Arranged by Lou D. MacWethy
Published by The Enterprise and News; St. Johnsville, NY., 1933
The following records from the graveyard at Stone Arabia and the lists from the Congregational Register kept by the first resident pastor in Schoharie, Rev. Peter Nicholas Sommer, are taken from the pamphlet "Lutheran Trinity Church of Stone Arabia," written by Rev. Andrew Dillenbeck, D. D. and published by the Church in 1931.
We wish we need not speak of this. Shamefully has it been neglected for nearly a century. Pigs and cows have overrun it for years. Tombstones are broken and fallen. An orchard was planted in it years ago and the trees are old and dying. Something should be done. In it are buried one pastor, Rev. Philip Jacob Groz, A. M., and at least one pastor's wife, Mrs. Anna Margretha Ries, wife of the first resident pastor of the Church, together with many other ancestors of the present members of the congregation.
In 1914, a list was made of the tombstones with their inscriptions, which we incorporate in this history, here and now:
1. JOHN STRAYER, died 24 Oct. 1800, aged 56 years.
2. PETER REAS, died 6 Feb. 1825, aged 60 years. (A son of Rev. Ries without a doubt.)
3. CATHARINE VAN SLYKE, died 7 July 1866, aged 39 years, 4 mos. and 14 days.
4. MALACHI POTTER, died 11 April 1848, aged 69 years and 5 month. (This is an error, we think, on the part of the transcriber, since there were no Potters connected with the church, and since the transcribert notes a headstone and footstone next to this one, with illegible inscriptions but which appear to the transcriber as "Bauder".)
5. GEORGE BAUDER, died 21 Jan 1858, aged 85 years.
6. MARGARET KLOCK, wife of George Bauder, died 15 May 1858, aged 82 years.
7. MARIAH M., daughter of Benjamin and Lany PANGBURN, died 13 Aug. 1851, aged 4 years, 9 mos., 29 days.
8. HENRY LASHER, JR., died 13 July 1878, aged 87 years, 9 mos. and 26 days.
9. NANCY, wife of Henry LASHER, kied 28 Dec. 1858, aged 62 years and 2 days.
10. ANGELINE, wife of Walter LASHER, died 28 March 1859, aged 19 years, 8 mos., 2 days. Also an infant daughter Angeline, born 18 March, died 17 July 1859.
11. SUSANNAH, wife of Jacob SARFASS, died 22 March 1844, aged 60 years.
12. LANY KLOCK, wife of Michael M. BAUDER, died 22 April 1838, aged 76 years, 4 mos., 28 days.
13. MICHAEL M. BAUDER, died 28 Dec. 1822, aged 60 years, 11 mos., 14 days.
14. MICHAEL WICK, died 13 March 1886, aged 95 years, 9 mos. and 6 days.
15. CATHARINE, wife of Michael WICK, died 22 August 1860, aged 62 years, 5 mos., and 22 days.
16. Revered PHILIP JACOB GROZ, A. M. Late pastor of the evangelical Lutheran Congregation of Stone Arabia and Palatine. Born in Wurtembergy, German, who after thirty years' labor in the Lord's vineyard, was in the 62nd year of his age on the first day of December, 1809 suddenly called to our _________
17. JACOB HARTMAN, son of J. and Lydia Ann STOVER died 27 August 1840, aged 1 year, 10 mos. 25 days.
18. BENJAMIN, son of Joseph and Margaret ENGLAND, died 21 June 1837, aged 9 years.
19. CATHARINE, daughter of same parents, died 13 May 1839, aged 2 years, 3 mos., 21 days.
20. LAWRENCE, sonof same parents, died 15 April 1854, aged 6 years, 4 mos., 20 days.
21. KATHERINE EMPIE, wife of John F. Empie, died 14 August 1820, aged 56 years, 4 mos., 8 days.
22. CATHARINE, wife of Daniel A. LIPE, born 10 Oct. 1796, died 29 August 1837.
23. MARY ANN LIPE, born 3 Sept 1820, died 29 April 1835.
24. MARIA LIPE, born 25 Jan. 1836, died 15 Oct. 1831.
25. JAMES LIPE, son of Daniel and Catharing Lipe died 8 Oct. 1830, aged 4 years, 3 mos. 12 days.
Many of the sones legible in 1913, have disappeared altogehter or are now illegible.
Copyright © 1998, -- 2003. Berry Enterprises. All rights reserved. All items on the site are copyrighted. While we welcome you to use the information provided on this web site by copying it, or downloading it; this information is copyrighted and not to be reproduced for distribution, sale, or profit.