History From America's Most Famous Valleys
History of Montgomery Classis, R.C.A.
by W.N.P. Dailey,
Recorder Press, Amsterdam, NY 1916
To which is added sketches of Mohawk Valley men and events of early days, the Iroquois, Palatines, Indian Missions, Tryon County, committee of Safety, Sir Wm. Johnson, Joseph Brant, Arendt Van Curler, Gen. Herkimer, Reformed Church in America, Doctrine and Progress, Revolutionary Residences, Etc.
Churches Now Extinct
Formerly Attached to Classis
AMSTERDAM The first settlement in the town of Amsterdam (formerly called "Veddersburgh"or"Veedersburgh" was by the widow and four sons of Philip Groat, at a place just opposite to where Cranesville is now (cf). Originally, Amsterdam, Johnstown, New Broadalbin and Mayfield were in a sort of square, and formed the ancient town of Caughnawaga. At first this part of the town was called Veddersburg or, Vedder's Mills, named after William Vedder, who, with his family, moved here from Johnstown in 1776. He was a descendant of Lucas Vetter (spelled also Vader, Feeter, Veeder) who died at Derdinger, southwest Germany so long ago as 1483. (Koetteritz: "Feeter Family"). Others give Albert Vedder of Holland descent as the founder. He was the first tenant of Fort Johnson after Sir John had fled to Canada. The name was changed in 1808 to "Amsterdam," and incorpation of the village was in 1830. Among the first settlers were William and Albert Vedder, E. E. DeGraff, Nicholas Wilcox and William Kline. The earliest known church was the Dutch Reformed Protestant church of 1792, in which Michael Spore, Tunis Swart, Jeremiah DeGraff and Ahasuerus Marcellus were elders. This was an effort to organize a church at Cranesville ("Willigas"), but tho a morgan of land was given by John L. Groat, son of Philip Groat above, the project fell thro because the members wanted the church on both sides of the river. In the Summer of 1795 a second organization was started in which Jeremiah Voorhees and Cornelius Van Vranken were elders, whom Rev. John Johnson of the First Dutch church of Albany ordained. The meeting for organization was held at the home of John Wiser (near where Henry Hagaman lived in 1851). A Rev. Ames supplied this church, who spent his last days at the county house. Rev. Sampson Occum, a Long Island Indian preacher, also was in this church. He died in 1792 at New Stockbridge, Madison Co., N. Y., aged 69. He was one of the best educated of all the Indians. Two other churches were built at this time, one at New Harlem, later called Fondas Bush, and another at Mayfield. In 1799 the Rev. Conrad Ten Eyck, just graduated from the New Brunswick Seminary, was called to these three fields, the call being dated March 14, 1799, tho. Mr. Ten Eyck did not enter on the field until May 1, 1799. There was no church edifice as yet in Amsterdam. On July 3, 1799, Joseph Clizbe was made elder and Aaron Lindsay deacon. John DeGraff was already in the consistory whose place was taken in December, 1799, by Nicolas Marcellus. John Manley and John Crane were made deacons. During 1800 in trying to settle on a church site two places were favorites, one in the village where the Dr. Pulling residence was,
Note-We are attempting to give in these following pages glimpses: of the history of those churches, formerly attached to the Montgomery Classis, but which thro the circumstances referred to in each case, became extinct, or independent, or were merged into other bodies. While some of them were Worthy a decent burial, still we are coristrained to feel that many were lost to the denomination thro neglect or lack of practical aid on the part of the Chassis.
near Market and West Main, and the other at Manny's Corners, where a good many of the congregation lived. As a result of the difference of opinion two churches were erected, one on each spot. At this time a third church seems to have been organized in Veddersburgh, among the officers being James Downs and Mr. Van Derveer, both residents in Florida. This church continued until about 1831. Ten Eyck remained about four years with these three churches, and then served Mayfield and New Harlem until 1812, when he went to the Owasco church, The Veddersburgh church was supplied after Ten Eyck's going by the neighboring pastors, and occasionally by those in the Albany and Schenectady Dutch churches. Articles of incorporation of all these churches are to be found at Fonda. In 1802 Classis dismissed the First Dutch church to unite with the Galway Presbyterian church to call Rev. Mr. Christie. In 1807 Classis dismissed another First Dutch church to Albany Presbytery.In the journal of the Rev. John Taylor, who traveled thro here in 1802 he refers to Arnsterdam as a town eleven by eight miles, where both the Dutch and Presbyterian churches are vacant, tho he adds that "Domine Ten Eyck occasionally officiates at both." He also says that the people are three-fourths English and that they have great respect for pious clergymen. In 1806 the Veddersburgh congregation at a meeting held in the church building, elected Andreas Waters, Harmanus A. Vedder and Volckert Vedder as trustees. In 1807 this church is dismissed to the Presbytery of Albany. In 1815 a new church was formed, known as "The Albany Bush (Johnstown) and Amsterdam Reformed Dutch church"; the elders were Peter Van Neste and Solomon Hoyt, and the deacons, Peter Vosburgh and Garret Ten Broeck. Later, November 21, 1821, the term "Union" was added to the title and John Voorhees and Nathan Wells were in the consistory. The Manny's Corners Reformed church became Presbyterian in 1802, and was incorporated February 1, 1803, its first trustees being Joseph Haganian, Samuel Baldwin, John Bantan, Aaron Marcellus, Joseph Gunsaulus and Gabriel Manna. It united with the West Galway Presbyterian church and called Rev. John I. Christie, who began his work October 5, 1803, He was a Reformed Dutch minister coming from the Classis of Bergen to the church. His last charge was in the Dutch church at Warwick (1812-1835). He died in 1845. After Mr. Ten Eyck left in 1804 there was no preaching in the Veddersburgh church for several years, and in 1812 the church became Presbyterian and united with the church at Manny's Corners, which also had become Presbyterian, under one head. It was from this church that on March 3, 1832, a hundred and four members went to form the Second Presbyterian church of Amsterdam. Not until 1850 was another Reformed Dutch church founded in Amsterdam, this time on the south side of the river, in Port Jackson. Among those who preached in these first or earlier Reformed churches, besides Mr. Ten Eyck, were the Rev. Messrs. Stephen Ostrander, Herman B. Stryker, Jonathan F. Morris and Sylvanus Palmer, the last of whom organized an independent ("Wyckofite") church in Amsterdam, its members being called "Palmerites" and "Wyckofites." This church ran for six or seven years, Palmer also preached in independent churches at Tribes Hill and Mayfield. The Particular Synod of Albany, of the Dutch church, carried the "Albany Bush Reformed church" on its records until 1831. The years of the ministry of Morris and Stryker date down to 1833. Stryker went to St. Johnsville in 1833 and remained about two years.
ANDRIESTOWN This was one of the original churches of the Classis, and usually given as one of the Canadian churches organized by the missionary, McDowell. But Andriestown ("Andrustown") was an outgrowth of the German Flatts church, seven miles away in the southern part of Herkimer county, and so called after Dr. Jas. Henderson, a surgeon of the British Army, who had obtained in 1739 from the Crown some 20,000 acres of land. It was a corrupted form of Hendersontown. Seven of the German families of the German Flatts church hot a thousand acres of this land. Among the names are Grimm (Crim), Starring, Osterhout, Frank, Hawyer, Bell, Lepper, et al, in 1757 these people took refuge in the church fort at German Flatts on account of the French- Indian troubles. On July 18, 1778, an Indian massacre occurred at Andriestown with utter destruction of crops and cabins. It was here that Brant took his first revenge for Oriskany. At the time there were ten families, three of whom, the Crims, Moyers and Osterhouts escaped to Fort Herkimer. The rest were killed or taken prisoners. The congregation was pastored by the German Flatts church minister as the records show. The work was continued in the Columbia church.
BEAVERDAM The records of this church, now called Roxbury, begin in 1802. In its earliest years it was supplied by Revs. Stephen Z. Goetschius, Abner Benedict and Winslow Paige. Rev. David Devoe supplied it when pastor at Middleburgh (1808-1816). In 1813 he reported one hundred and thirty members. This was the year it joined the Classis.
BLENHEIM This church is now called So. Gilboa. Corwin says it was organized in 1821 but the Montgomery Classis Minutes carry it on their roll for a decade previous to this. Rev. Winslow Paige was its supply during this period.
BUEL The first settlement at Buel was by John Bowman in 1760. The Indian name for the place was Te-ko-ha-ra-wa. The place was called "Bowman's Kill" for a long time. Its present name comes from Hon. Jesse Buel a prominent agriculturist of Albany. It was here that Capt. Robt. McKean was brought after the battle of Dorlach (Sharon Springs) and where he died, July 10, 1781, and was first buried at Fort Clyde (Minden), tho later reinterred at old Fort Plain. The earliest title of the church is the "Bowman's crrek Protestant Dutch Reformed Church. It joined the Classis of Montgomery in 1802. The consistory in 1807 were Abijal White and John Bowman, elders, and William Bartlett and Adam Felist, Jr., deacons. In 1809 John Bowman, a ruling elder in the church had the body turned into Presbyterian. Rev. John C. Toll was the last pastor of the Dutch church (1803-1807). On May 21, 1842, the session met and put the church back into the Dutch fold, but five years later, May 22, 1847, the church was again put into the Presbyterian fold, where it has remained since. The church edifice built about 1800 was burned in 1915. A new building was erected the same year. Among the preachers here besides Toll (cf Mapletown), were Rev. J. L. Stark (ef Mohawk) and a Rev. William Clark, who supplied for a while, The proximity of the Mapletown Reformed church has often resulted, as now in a dual pastorate. Rev. Ebenezer Tucker, Auburn '43, was a member of the Buel church. In 1823 an asylum for the deaf and dumb was built, but in 1836 united in the one already founded in New York City.
BUFFALO Three Reformed churches at Buffalo have become extinct. The church of 1838 had for pastors, Rev. John Beattie (1838-1844), and Rev. William A. V. V. Mahon, who served it in a missionary capacity for two or three years (1844-1856). Mr. Beattie came to Buffalo to supply the church here after a twenty-five years pastorate at New Utrecht. Later he was installed pastor. He died January 22, 1864. Mr. Mahon died while in the professorate at New Brunswick, November 3, 1892, A second organization at Buffalo was the Holland church of 1855, whose pastors were Revs. W. C. Wust (1855-1856), A. K. Kasse (1861-1864), and Henry K. (1876-1879). Mr. Wust went to a Holland church in Rochester (1856-1864), then to the Lodi, N. J. Holland church, where after a few years he was suspended, but preached to an independent church until 1878, when he returned to Holland. Mr. Kasse died while pastor of the Second Holland church of Paterson, N. J., in 1874. Mr. Boer is at the Siuox Centre, Ia. church. A third effort at Buffalo was an English speaking church, founded in 1855, located on Delaware avenue, of which the only pastor was the Rev. John L. See (1854-1861), who, later became Secretary of the Board of Education. He died June 1, 1892. The present Buffalo church is in the Rochester Classis, tho for many years a member of Montgomery.
CANAJOHARIE OR "SAND HILL" "Canajoharie" is a term to conjure with in any historical study since it was on both sides of the Mohawk and was loosely bounded by the changing events of those early pre-Revolutionary times. Originally it referred to the country on the north side of the river, and was named after the Indian village, Can-a-jor-he" ("whirling stone"). When the Bear clan of the Can-ajor-he moved to the south side of the river toward the close of the seventeenth century they took the name with them, though for years afterwards the old deeds refer to it still as on the north side. This continued until 1772 when Tryon county was formed and Canajoharie was definitely bounded, extending from Nose Hill to Fall Hill along the river for twenty miles, virtually to the Pennsylvania line. In the divisions of Tryon county Canajoharie included the settlements of Cherry Valley, Charlotte river, etc. and, later, was known as the "Old English District," On Sauthier's map (1776) the Canajoharie creek was called "Te-cay-o-ha-ron-we."
During Sir William Johnson's time Canajoharie was known as the country on the south side of the river around the Upper Castle of the Mohawks, in the town of Danube, but by the time of the Revolution its boundaries became popularly extended as far cast as Fort Plain. Continuing the local history before we come to the "Sand Hill" church, the government in 1776 built a fort about a third of a mile northeast of the church (built in 1750) and called it "Fort Plain" (not Fort Plank which Stone, Campbell, et al. confuses with Fort Plain). It enclosed a third of an acre and was palisaded and defended with cannons and bastions. After the brutal raid of Sir John Johnson in 1780 (cf Notes) the government built a score of forts in the valley for increased protection of the settlers. The first raid was in August, followed by the savage raid in October. The record of the court martial of Gen. Robt. Van Rensselaer brought out the fact that Van Rensselaer wanted the name of "Fort Plain" changed to that of "Rensselaer," to satisfy his vanity-surely not because of his cowardice shown at the battle of Stone Arabia (cf Note). Acquitted at the court martial, failing to have the name changed, Van Rensselaer ordered the erection of a block house a little to the north of the fort, on the land of John Lipe, and called it "Fort Rensselaer." This was in 1781. "Fort Plain" was already becoming dilapidated. Rev. Daniel Gros, the pastor of the "Sand Hill" church wrote Gen. Clinton urging him to send troops to Fort Rensselaer which, he says, is close to the ruins of the old "Sand Hill" church, burned in the raid of 1780. In his trip up the valley in July, 1783, Washington speaks of tarrying over night at the home of Maj. Wormuth, opposite Fort Plain and crossing in the morning where he probably dined at Fort Rensselaer to which he refers. Simms and later writers refer to the old stone house built by a Mr. Van Alstyne (1740), who had come from Kinderhook and settled at what is now the present village of Canajoharie, as Fort Rensselaer, but this is obviously all error, as all the documentary history amply proves. The ninth meeting of the Tryon Co. Com. of Safety was held in this house, Julie 11, 1775. The fourteenth meeting was also held here and Gen. Herkimer was chairman of the meeting. The forts built near Fort Plain during the last years of the War of the Revolution were Fort Rensselaer, three hundred and thirty feet from old Fort Plain, Fort Plank, two and a half miles west and a quarter of a mile from the river, Fort Willett four miles west on the highland of "Dutchtown," on the Zimmerman farm; Fort Windecker eight miles west on the river, and Fort Clyde, in Freys Bush, three miles south."The Reformed Protestant Dutch Church of Canajoharie" (so the seal reads) was organized in 1750 and for seventy-five years the work was carried on. The church was locally known as the "Sand Hill" church, and was built on the westerly side of the "Dutchtown" road, about four miles up the river from the present village of Canajoharie and about one mile above the present site of Fort Plain. The Germans who settled the town of Minden about 1720, located principally on the "Dutchtown" road which led down from Sand Hill to the river where there was a ferry. The land for this church and parsonage was given by Rutger and Nicolas Bleeker on September 22, 1729, until after 1761, for Rev. John Lappius, a German minister, on September 9, 1761, was given permission to collect funds for the erection of a church. In April, 1759, Sir William Johnson held all Indian council at this place with the Iroquois. Dominie Lappius died in 1765. From Canajoharie just previous to his death Mr. Lappius writes a pathetic letter to Sir William Johnson, begging him to send him some rum and raisins to relieve his cold. Near by the church was the home of John Abeel, a celebrated German trader with the Indians, whose Seneca squaw bore him a son, Cornplanter, the celebrated Indian of infamous memory.
All that remains of the old church today is a long neglected burial spot, a few mutilated books (in the Utica Public Library, the church seal, Rev. John Wack's call, and a few old papers, which are in the possession of some of Wack's descendants at Fort Plain. In the old record books referred to there are but a few consistorial minutes, the main portion of these records being statistical-baptisms, marriages, deaths, etc. These are from 1788 through 1821. Rev. Abraham Rosencrantz preached here after his coming to German Flatts (cf) in 1752, and, later came Rev. John Casper Lappius (1760-1765) and Rev. Kennipe (of whom we know nothing but the name in the records) and Rev. John Broeffle (or Broeffel), who was one of the first post-Revolutionary pastors. In 1788 Rev. D. C. A. Pick of Stone Arabia (cf) came to the church to supply it, and was followed by Rev. John D. Gros, a regent of the University of New York, and a chaplain of the N. Y. militia. He had served a German Reformed church in New York City. Dr. Gros was the instructor of the illustrious Milledoler (for thirty years connected with Rutgers). He wrote a standard work on "Moral Philosophy." He spent the last ten years of his wonderful life in the vicinity of Fort Plain, and lies buried in its beautiful cemetery. He was an extensive land owner in the valley. His brother, Capt. Lawrence Gros, of the Revolution, came to America in 1764. His company was a part of Col. Willet's regiment. He was in the battles of Oriskany, Sharon and Johnstown. Rev. Dr. Gros was the almoner for N. Y. State Commission for relieving distressed families and served during 1780-1783. During the ministry of Dr. Gros a new church was built costing $2,500, before and during the construction of which (erected on the site of the old one) the barn of Mr. Lipe (torn down in 1859) was used for worship. The builder of the church was Peter March. It had the high pulpit, half round with a bench for one, and sounding board, galleries on the sides and rear and steeple. Rev. Isaac Labagh came to the church about 1800 and remained three years. During the first year of his ministry a Washington Memorial service was held, and Labagh preached a sermon, afterwards printed. The church was decorated with evergreen and black crepe, while in the procession was a riderless horse, with boots attached to the saddle (a custom of the day when officers were buried). It was an imposing service, attended by thousands, not a few of whom, doubtless, saw Washington on his visit to "Sand Hill" in the summer of 1783.
Rev. John J. Wack came to the "Sand Hill" church in 1804, the call being dated May 26 and promising $200, together with fifty cords of wood, the personal use of the parsonage, the use of the glebe lands, and two weeks' vacation. His older brother, Casper, began the study of theology at eleven, and received calls at fifteen, but Classis compelled him to wait a few years for ordination though he was allowed to serve the church as a catechist. He was the first native born minister to be educated and ordained in America. Rev. J. J. Wack began preaching at twenty-three at Amwell, N. J., from which he came to the "Sand Hill" church with his bride and two slaves, several head of cattle-driving all the distance. Wack's call is signed by John Jr., Jacob and John Dievendorf, Cornelius Van Camp, Jr., Dionysius Miller, Thomas Zimmerman, Jacob H. Walradt, John Failing (consistory), and by the trustees, Solomon Dievendorf, George G. Garlock, John Seeber, Casper Lipe and Henry S. Failing. Rev. Mr. Wack was a fluent linguist, preaching in the German and English, and in the controversies of that day with the Universalists, quoting passages from his Hebrew and Greek Testaments, and from the Latin Fathers-which procedure always had a most favorable impression on the hearers and tended to confound his adversaries. Rev. Wack was more than a preacher-he was for his day a sort of "bishop," ruling in all the affairs of his people with strong hand and convincing speech. When the soldiers of the company of which he was chaplain (War of 1812) refused to assemble for prayers he borrowed the sword front the commanding officer and compelled them to form a hollow square, inside of which he led them in the morning devotions. When the Montgomery Classis sought to discipline him for infraction of their rules he took the church out of the Classis or else went off and organized a new one. For nearly half a century he was a potent factor in the churches of the classis, or in those that were organized independent of Classis. He served the church at "Sand Hill" for twenty years, its last pastor, unto whom, for salary due, came the church and parsonage, and glebe lands,he might have had the cemetery but declined it. We find him serving, besides "Sand Hill," the churches at Canajoharie (Independent), Stone Arabia, Tillaborough, and Ephratah, at which place he died, May 26, 1851, the anniversary of his call to "Sand Hill." Under the present Canajoharie church we speak of other efforts in the present village to organize Reformed churches, and under the Independent churches references are to be found anent the "Wvckofite" movement in the community. Both Fort Plain and Canajoharie are outgrowths of the "Sand Hill" church, though the former has priority in the succession. "Sand Hill" or "Canajoharie" was for many years also called, the "Fort Plain" church. In the Minutes of Particular Synod of Albany (1817 ff) concerning the trouble Classis had with Mr. Wack it is so called, and Peter Mayer signs himself as the "President of the Fort Plain Reformed Dutch church" under date of October 2, 1816.
CANASTOTA Organized in 1833 by the Cayuga Classis, it entered the Montgomery Classis in 1889. The pulpit from the beginning was almost wholly supplied by the students from Auburn Seminary, while of the fourteen pastors or supplies mentioned, but four represent the Reformed church ministry. Among the pastors were, Rev. S. Z. Goetschius (S. S. 1836-1837), Rev. Francis T. Drake (1845-1853), Rev. John Garretson (1859-1861), and Rev. William A. Wurts (1863-1868), the latter serving as pastor for six years, and, later (1877-1878) acting as supply. Rev. John H. Lockwood was installed in November, 1871, and resigned in May, 1873. Mr. Lockwood went to the First Congregational church of Westfield, Mass., in 1879, and is now the pastor emeritus of that church, though residing at Springfield, Mass. He has not been in active work since 1896. Cayuga dropped the church after Wurts' supply but Montgomery listed it until 1894, even though it had gone over to the Presbyterian denomination about 1883. A strong Reformed church in the sixties, though most of the families were Presbyterian, the church was practically in the hands of the Auburn men, especially Rev. Mr. Whitfield, and eventually went into that denomination. Canastota means"the lonesome pine."
CAROLINE Two churches were organized at Caroline (Tompkins Co.), the first in 1800, the year of the formation of the Classis, and which continued for a few years, Rev. Garrett Mandeville being a pastor. In 1831 a second Reformed church was formed, Revs. Chas. P. Wack, John G. Tarbell, Cornelius Gates, and John Witbeck (cf Arcadia) serving as pastors, the last through the years 1852-1868.
CATO The Reformed Dutch church of Cato was organized in 1818 by the Montgomery Classis and continued as such until December, 1884, when it was formally received into the Presbytery of Cayuga. For the first few years it was supplied by missionaries or nearby pastors. In 1821 David R. DeFraest became the pastor. In 1824 a church was organized at Sterling (cf Aurelius) and DeFraest preached for a couple years here, as well as at Cato: In 1827 an Independent or "Wyckofite" church ("True Reformed") was organized at Cato in which DeFraest continued to preach until 1828 when he was suspended by the Classis from the ministry. Later he joined the Associate Presbyterian body, and died in 1861. When the seceders left the original church the missionaries, Rev. Richard Wynkoop served the church for several months, and after him Rev. Jas. B. Stevenson for a couple of years, going to Florida (cf) in 1829. Rev. Abram Hoffman was the second pastor serving the church from 1831 through 1843. He died in 1856. Rev. Richard W. Knight, an English Congregationalist, who had been at Sand Beach (Owasco Outlet) for several years, came to Cato in 1845, also preaching at Lysander. Later Wolcott (Victory) was substituted for Lysander, and Knight continued at Cato until 1852, when he was made pastor emeritus. He died February 9, 1873. Rev. A. G. Morse was at Cato during 1857-1859. Rev. Thomas G. Watson was ordained and installed over the church by the Geneva Classis, June 25, 1861. He also preached at Wolcott. On leaving Cato in 1869, he entered the Presbyterian church, spending fifteen years in Washington where he died, at Spokane on October 28, 1906. During his pastorate (1865) the congregation bought of the Methodists their property for $850, selling the old church and land for $350. At this time there were but thirty-one in the communion of the church. Rev. Watson was drafted for the Civil War, but he bought his release with money given by the two churches and some of his own ($600). In these days L. W. Van Doren, Isaac Van Doren, Morgan Lawrence, Peter Sleight, and David Jones were efficient officers. Rev. Minor Swick came in 1869 and remained two years, to be followed by Rev. Frederick F. Wilson, who came from Mohawk (cf) and remained a year (1872), Rev. T. R. Townsend supplied for a while. On May 26, 1874, Rev. J. Howard Van Doren, who had been in the China mission, was installed and staid until 1876 when he went to Tyre. His last pastorate was at East Albany (Bath) where he died June 6, 1898. His daughter, Alice Van Doren, has been for some years a member of the Ranipettai (India) Mission. Rev. Ransford Wells (cf Canajoharie and Fultonville) spent five years at Cato (1876-1880). At this time the church through its financial depression, lost its parsonage. For three years it was supplied by Auburn students, Rev. Wilbur 0. Carrier leading it at length into the Presbyterian fold, This was no reflection on the Reformed denomination for the Domestic Board gave thousands of dollars through the years to the work. The first pastor of the Presbyterian church was Rev. John Wileridge. Rev. 0. B. Pershing (New Brunswick 1900) was ordained here. The present pastor, Rev. Cassius J. Sargent, supplied the Owasco field from 1905 through a part of 1910.
CHARLESTON The First Reformed Protestant Dutch church of Charleston was a charter member of the Classis. It was organized in 1797. In 1803 the Second Charleston church was organized by the Classis, the first settled pastor being Rev. Henry V. Wyckoff (1803-1820), who lived in the town of Charleston for thirty-five years, serving various churches, regular, independent, and secession. In the Particular Synod Albany Minutes of 1817 he is reported as without charge. A brother, Rev. Isaac N. Wyckoff, was at Albany Second for thirty years, receiving a thousand souls into that church. Wyckoff came to Glen and Charleston from the Seminary in 1799. During the quarter-century following the first organization there were four others according to the records, but nothing is known of them. Wyckoff seems to have been the moving genius in each but the first. Another church under date of August 13, 1803, was incorporated, which Wyckoff served twenty-five years. The consistory of this last church was, Timothy Hutton, Sr., John Jamison, Garrett Lansing, Cornelius Van Olinda, elders, and Edward Molitaney, Francis Stile, Wilhelm Fero, and Henry Disbro, deacons. There was also a "Reformed Calvinist church of Canajoharie and Charleston," incorporated in 1806. The building used by the Second church finally came into use by the followers of Wyckoff, who were termed, and to this day, "Wyckofites." This edifice was burned in 1860. This church was re-incorporated November 24, 1823. Wyckof was suspended in 1820 and at once organized a "True Reformed" church (cf Note), which, with another seceding church he served for ten more years. Other men serving the regular churches in the town of Charleston were, Revs. Benj. Van Keuren, Peter Van Buren, ordained by Montgomery Classis in 1805, J. R. H. Hasbrouck, Jonathan F. Morris, and Alanson B. Chittenden. Van Keuren was also at Mapletown (cf). Hasbrouck was, later, at Currytown (cf). Morris was a classical missionary in the twenties. He died July 11, 1886. Mr. Chittenden died in 1583.
CHENANGO This is said to be the first church organized by the Board of Domestic Missions after the Revolution, but in Todd's "Life of Peter Labagh," it is recorded to have been organized in 1796 by Labagh, who was temporarily serving the Particular Synod of Albany as a missionary. It was formed by Rev. John Cornelison. He died in 1828 after a pastorate of twenty odd years in the church at Bergen. The date was 1794, a charter member of the Classis. It was situated near the present site of Binghamton, and continued as a Dutch church for nearly thirty years, when it became Presbyterian. The building was torn down in 1911. Corwin's manual says the men who served this church were, Revs. Sylvanus Palmer (cf Amsterdam), Samuel Van Vechten (cf Fort Plain), John Van Derveer (cf Canajoharie), John W. Ward, A. Henry DuMont, Douw Van Olinda (cf Fonda). Ward was the first Presbyterian pastor, Excepting Mr. Ward these men served the Union church in Montgomery county (Johnstown) organized by the Classis in 1810. Corwin's Manual errs in associating them with the Chenango Church so far distant. Another church nearby was called the "Union" Reformed Dutch Church, because here Gen. Clinton on August 28, 1779, made a union with the forces of Gen. Sullivan in the latter's campaign against the Iroquois.CHITTENANGO Chittenango was settled in 1793 and was called Chittenango Falls. A Presbyterian church was organized here in 1799 and Rev. John Leonard was the first pastor. The Reformed Dutch church of Chittenango (an Indian name meaning "sunshine") was organized January 12, 1838, and the building dedicated January 15, 1829,by the Cayuga Classis. The founders of the church were Rev. Andrew Yates, David R. Austin, Jas. A. Van Voast, Jacob Slingerland and Stephen Alexander. At a public meeting held February 28, 1828, a committee of thirteen, with Rev. Yates was appointed to erect the church. Hon. John B. Yates, an attorney at Chittenango, gave $2,500 toward the project. The first work done in Chittenango was by Rev. Hutchins Taylor (1828), but on the coming of Rev. Yates, a New Brunswick man, to the principalship of what became the Yates Academy (a work of the Dutch church) and which, later, and is now called the Yates High School, the Reformed church was organized. Originally there were but five members, and at the close of the first year, but twelve, though after the dedication some twenty from the Sullivan Presbyterian united. Even after forty years, in 1864, when Rev. Jas. R. Talmage was pastor, there were but seventy-nine. Rev. Taylor remained eighteen months, after which Dr. Yates served as supply for a year. Rev. Dr. Yates is again called, and declines, but secures for the church Rev. William H. Campbell (later Professor and President at Rutgers), who remained a year. Rev. Dr. Yates now accepts a call to the church, still retaining his position in the school. But the burden of work is too great so he secures Rev. Elbert Slingerland, but he remained but two months. Rev. Daniel E. Manton, a graduate of Andover and Princeton, supplied the pulpit after this until April 22, 1836, when Rev. John Cantine F. Hoes is installed over the church, remaining until 1837, when he resigned to go to Ithaca (cf). Rev. Hoes was born in Kinderhook, and a sister married President Martin Van Buren, while another married Rev. L. H. Van Dyck (cf Stone Arabia). His only son was a chaplain in the navy. The Board of Domestic Missions was making annual grants of $200 to aid in paying salary.
In January, 1838, Rev. James Abeel came to the field and staid nearly twenty years, during all of which time the organization was straightened financially. Other preachers or supplies were, Rev. Seth P. M. Hastings, who died at Accord in 1876, and Jas. R. Talmage, who died a decade later. His brothers were Rev. John V. N. Talmage, a missionary to the Chinese for forty years, Rev. Goyn Talmage of the same class ('45) at New Brunswick, and Rev. T. DeWitt Talmage, the famous preacher (cf Syracuse 1st). Rev. Jacob H. Enders who was pastor for ten years (1869-1880). Rev. Otis C. Thatcher was the last pastor of the Reformed church. A Mr. Fisher supplied the pulpit after Rev. Thatcher left, who later entered the Methodist ministry. At the Fall meeting of the Presbytery of Syracuse, held in the Reformed church at Chittenango, the organization, on application of the congregation was received into the Presbytery, which also took over the valuable property rights into which the Board of Domestic Missions had invested thousands of dollars, and endowments given to the Dutch church by its former members. Rev. Charles H. Walker (now of Troy, N. Y.) was the first Presbyterian pastor, installed in 1889. A year after this transfer the Particular Synod of Albany placed the Chittenango church in the Classis of Montgomery, and said church was listed among those of the Classis until 1894.
CINCINNATUS The Classis of Montgomery in 1825 gave leave of absence to Rev. Mr. Labagh that lie might go to this place, which is in Cortland county, to organize the Reformed Dutch church there. Mr. Van Horne and Rev. Mr. De Voe were to supply his pulpit. The church is mentioned after this only in the reports of the Missionary Society.
COENRADSTOWN This church, as that of Andriestown (cf was given a place in the 1800 list of the Montgomery Classis. They have been placed at times Canadian churches of early missionary activity organized by Rev. Robert McDowell, who was commissioned by the Classis of Albany to labor in both Upper and Lower Canada, and whose regular field of service was nearly three hundred miles long. Both of these churches were developments of the German Flatts church. Reference is made under Andriestown to the settlement of that name, seven miles south of Fort Herkimer. After a few years of prosperity, a number of these settlers went five miles further west and formed a new settlement and called it Coenradstown (Coonrodstown) because that family surname predominated among the first settlers. In the "Mission Field" of December, 1912, is a view of the Coonrod Orendorf barn where the people of Coenradstown usually met for worship, and where, in 1798, the church of Columbia was organized. In the records of the German Flatts church in calling Rev. Pick to their joint pastorate (April 9, 1798) the consistories of German Flatts and Herkimer, besides demanding of Pick a statement as to his debts and his creditors, also agreed, on request of a representative from Coenradstown, that Pick should preach at that place six Sabbaths every year, and four times a year during the week at Orendorf's barn or in the church erected. No records of these two churches, Andriestown and Coenradstown are extant. though references are made to them in the records at German Flatts.
COBLESKILL The Union Reformed Dutch church of this place was received into the Montgomery Classis on the second Wednesday of February, 1826. It became extinct in 1855, for most of the time being in the Schoharie Classis. A church was at once built, and Rev. William Evans conducted services in it during the summer months of 1827. Other pastors or supplies were, Revs. H. A. Raymond, A. H. Myers, J. E. Quaw, Benj. Bassler, H. E. Waring, William Lochead, Cyril Spaulding, and D. B. Hall. Roscoe's History of Schoharie County refers to the church, but the only correct statement made is to the effect that the building was later occupied by the post office. This church has no relation whatever to the present Cobleskill church.
DUANESBURGH "The Duanesburgh Dutch Church- Anno Domini 1800-Thomas Romeyn, V. D. M.," is the record on the fly leaf of the old consistory book of this church. This organization had apparently but a few years of life, the records beginning in September, 1798, and ending in June, 1804. Among the ministers whose names occur in the records are those of Rev. Winslow Paige of Florida (cf), Rev. Thos. Romeyn, Rev. Conrad Ten Eyck, Rev. Robert McDowell. Romeyn was also at Florida (1800-1806), and Tell Eyck was at Amsterdam (first organization), while McDowell was one of the early missionaries of the denomination, doing a large work in the Canadian settlements near the border. A meeting house was built, but the work was given up in 1805. A second church was organized in 1824. Records of these churches are to be found at Fonda. On April 5, 1801, an "Association of Florida and Duanesburgh" was incorporated, and trustees chosen at the house of Thomas Crawford. Later a Duanesburgh Presbyterian church was organized in 1S04, and in 1806, Classis dismissed the Dutch church to Albany Presbytery. Still another Associate church was organized at Scotch Bush in 1795, and a church was built. This last church was rebuilt in 1846 and in 1851 it became Presbyterian. The old book to which we refer contains several pages of marriages, baptisms, and a church membership register, of which typed copy has been made.
FAYETTE This church was in Seneca county; originally the town was called "Washington." The church was formed in 1800. It was a missionary church, and was supplied for a decade by Revs. John Van Derveer and Jonathan F. Morris. In 1855 the county histories report two Reformed churches in this town. Classis admitted the Fayette church in 1821.FONDA'S BUSH Called also Ransonville (corporate name in 1815), "New Harlem" and "Broadalbin," it was in what is now Fulton Co. on Kennyetto Creek, and is now called Vails Mills. Rev. Romeyn began services here in 1790. The church was organized in 1795, and incorporated in 1800, and ran through an existence of some thirty years, when (1823) it was dismissed by Classis to the Albany Presbytery. The first consistory was made up of Dick Banta and Samuel Demarest, elders, and Abraham Westervelt and Peter Demarest, deacons. Mr. Ten Eyck stayed until 1811. Palmer came in 1818. Rev Conrad Ten Eyck and Rev. Sylvanus Palmer were pastors of the church and Rev. Samuel Van Vechten, the missionary, also served it. (In 1804 there was all incorporation as "The First Presbyterian Congregation in Broadalbin under the inspection of the Associate Reformed church").
FORD'S BUSH This church was situated in the town of Minden (Montgomery Co.) just south of St. Johnsville, and was incorporated April 26, 1801, The incorporation, signed by Rev. Conrad Ten Eyck, bears date of May 18, 1800 and is on file at Fonda. Jonathan F. Morris is put down as a missionary, serving this church as late as 1829. Robert Sybert, Martin Blessing and John Monk were trustees.
FORT HUNTER While the Reformed church never had any organization at Fort Hunter yet on the estate of Rev. Jacob H. Enders (for years a member of the Montgomery Classis, cf Chittenango) a commodious house of worship (still standing) had been built by J. Leslie Voorhees of the Auriesville church, and services for the people of the community had been held in it for many years. Fort Hunter was originally called "I-can-der-a-go"or "Te-on-de-lo-ga" i.e. "two streams coming together." Here was was the familiar palisaded Indian Mission spoken of in the Note oil Indian Education. The lower Mohawk Castle was built here. Fort Hunter was built in October, 1711, but at the close of the French War in 1763, it was abandoned, and the Indian Mission given up a decade later. Soon after the Queen Anne chapel was built in the fort, the Dutch built a log meeting house near what later became known as Snook's Corners, about two miles distant from the fort.
FRANKFORT The place was named after Lawrence Frank, an early settler. A church was organized in the present village of Frankfort (Herkimer Co.) in 19313. At the beginning the Rev. Henry Snyder (cf Herkimer) preached here, and at Schuyler and Herkimer 2nd. Other ministers were, Rev. Amos W. Seeley (cf Cicero), Rev. James Murphy (cf Herkimer), and Rev. Jedediah L. Stark (cf Mohawk).
GREENWICH This church was organized in 1812. It was some times called "Union Village," and was in Washington county. Nothing else is known.
HENDERSON Sometimes called, "Warren," this church was situated near Jordanville (Herkimer Co.), some six miles east of the Columbia church. It was settled between 1750 and 1756. Its name was, doubtless, derived from Dr. Henderson, after whom Andriestown was also called (cf). Services were conducted in this church, built in 1899 (building still standing, 1915) up to May 22, 1887, a communion service conducted by Dr. Daniel Lord. In 1895 Classis sold the building for $25. A First Church of Henderson was organized about 1798, at the time of the organization of the Columbia church. This seems to have been dropped, and a second one formed in 1823, the pastors at Columbia usually supplying Henderson, among whom were Revs. Jacob W. Hangen (cf Columbia), David De Voe (supplied for a year cf St. Johnsville), John P. Pepper, Davis B. Hall, John Witbeck, Daniel Lord (supplied often during twenty years, cf Fort Herkimer), and James M. Compton (cf Stone Arabia). Henderson reported one hundred families and a congregation of five hundred in 1842, but in 1854, the report read, forty families and one hundred and fifty in the congregation." Reported vacant until 1895 when the name was dropped.
HERKIMER SECOND It was about a century after the forming of the original Herkimer church that a second church was organized by Montgomery Classis in the east end of Herkimer. This was done in 1824 and continued with more or less success until 1836, when it was merged into the mother church. In December, 1823, Simeon Ford and others wanted to organize but Classis objected. Gen. Synod in June, 1824, directed it should he done. Among the men who served the Second Herkimer church were Revs. Samuel Centre, Isaac S. Ketchum, Joshua Boyd, Jonathan F. Morris, Henry Snyder, and John H. Pitcher. In 1912 a Sunday school was started by members of the Herkimer church in East Herkimer, and the outlook is excellent for an organization in this prosperous suburb of Herkimer.
ILION A Reformed church was organized at Ilion in 1862, and in 1866 reported thirty families to the Classis. Rev. Jeremiah Petrie (cf Herkimer) was the pastor from 1864 through 186S. The church later went over to the Presbyterians, who built a beautiful new structure in 1912.
INDIAN CASTLE Sir William Johnson is said to have built the church at Indian Castle, costing $1,142.75 (also called "Danube") in 1769 in order that the Indians at the upper Mohawk Castle might have religious training. In the beginning of the work Rev. Mr. Hale was called, but declined. In 1772 Sir William Johnson complained to Rev. Dr. Burton, that he can get no preacher for the Castle church. On March 12, 1800, a Reformed Dutch church was incorporated. Rev. David De Voe, Rev. Joseph Knieskern of St. Johnsville, and Rev. D. C. A. Pick of Stone Arabia often supplied the pulpit. In 1823 Rev. Samuel Ketchum was preaching here. The consistory at this time were Andrew Dingman, Jacob Overacker, Robert Spoor, Henry Moyer, elders, and William Ostrander, Thomas J. Mesick, Jacob I. Cramor, and Rudolph Walrath, Jr., deacons. A second church was formed in 1861 to which Rev. R. M. Stanbrough, at the time the Manheirn pastor ministered. Stanbrough usually walked from Manheim to the Mohawk at a point opposite the church site, then crossed in a skiff, with frequent dangers, and after service made the return trip for the evening service at Manheim.
JOHNSBOROUGH Called also "Johnsburgh," it was organized by Rev. Samuel Centre (cf Herkimer) who supplied the field in 1823."The church was in Warren county and was organized in 1819.
JOHNSTOWN A Montgomery county church, formed in 1816. It was also called "Kingsboro." It was in the Kingsland tract of sixty-six thousand acres of land that the King gave Sir William Johnson a few years before the latter's death. Johnstown was originally the county seat of Tyron and later of Montgomery county, and it was the removal of the county seat to Fonda that caused a division in the county and the formation of Fulton county. The title on record is "The Kingsborough Reformed Dutch church." At first it was connected with the Caughnawaga church. The men who preached here were, Rev. Albert Amerman, who also supplied Mayfield, and who was on this field, in regular and independent Reformed churches for a quarter century (1817-1843). His only other field was Hackensack (1843-1871). He died as pastor of the, Presbyterian church of Hackensack in 1881. The next ministers were, Rev. Samuel Van Vechten (cf Mapletown), Rev. Douw Van Olinda (cf Mapletown), and Herman B. Stryker (cf St. Johnsville). The work was given up about 1835, and it was not until 1894 that the present Johnstown church was organized. The Fonda records are dated 1800, Philip Miller and Christian Yaney being elected elders. A re-incorporation is recorded in April, 1813. Rev. Peter Domier, a Lutheran, organized on Christmas day, 1821, a Dutch Lutheran church at Johnstown (cf Palatine Stone Dutch church). Rev. John Taylor (1802) speaks of the "elegant Scotch Presbyterian church" in Johnstown, Rev. Simon Hoseck, pastor; also of the Episcopal church and its organ, Rev. John Erquahart, rector, and of the Reformed Dutch church where Dominie Van Horne preaches.
MARIAVILLE Though this church was in Schenectady county it was in the Montgomery Classis, being near to the Florida church at Minaville, if not, indeed, an outgrowth of this church. It was organized in 1843, its only pastor of whom we have knowledge having been James Donald, who served the church from 1844 through 1850. Mariaville first reported to the Fall meeting of Classis in 1845.MARTINSBURGH Situated in Lewis county, organized in 1827. It was near Lowville on the Black River Railroad. Known only through mention of it in the minutes of the synods.
MAYFIELD The Reformed Protestant Dutch church of Mayfield was organized in 1793, Abraham Wells, Abraham Romeyn, Lucas Brinckerhoff, Peter Snyder, David Becker, Elisabeth Turner and Mary Van Buren being charter members. On February 20, 1795, it was determined to build the church on the "nole" at or near the road leading from Mayfield to Romeyn's Mill (building still standing near the F., J. & G. R. R.). Mayfield cemetery now covers the original tract of land that was used for building the church. The first church was thirty by twenty, built on a half acre of land, given by Abraham Wells. Originally Mayfield, with New Broad Alban, Johnstown, and Amsterdam, formed the Caughnawaga"Square." Rev. Conrad Ten Eyck was the first preacher, also at Amsterdam (cf) and remained until 1812. Rev. John Taylor's "Journal" of 1802 speaks of the old Dutch church at Mayfield and its pastor, Ten Eyck. After Mr. Ten Eyck left a dissension arose resulting in a number withdrawing and building another church at what is now called Munsonville. These people were called "Palmerites" after their pastor, Rev. Sylvanus Palmer (cf Amsterdam), who was with them so many years. This second church building was taken down many years ago. Rev. Albert Amerman (cf Amsterdam) was here for four years (1817-1821), and Revs. Douw Van Olinda, and Samuel Van Vechten, of whom we have spoken under Amsterdam. In March, 1823 (Fonda Records), the church withdrew from Montgomery Classis and became the Central Presbyterian church of Mayfield. Rev. Jeremiah Wood began preaching here in 1826, and continued until 1870. He died in 1876. The present Presbyterian church was built in 1828.
MIDDLETOWN A Reformed organization was once started at some place in Saratoga county called Middletown, (Half Moon), but this is the only reference we have of the body. The present name of the town is Middle Grove. The date of formation of the society was 1791. This church is not to be confounded with the Mapletown church, formerly called Middletown, in Montgomery county. Rev. John Clost is the only pastor known. Middletown was put into the Washington Classis in 1818.
MINDEN In the town of Minden (Montgomery Co.) a Reformed Dutch church was organized February 12, 1816, and was known as the "St. Paul's Reformed Dutch and Lutheran church." Peter Ressner was trustee. (The Geissenberg church in this town was a Lutheran body).
NEW BREMEN This church was collegiate with Naumburgh, six miles distant. The pastors and supplies were the same as those who preached (cf at Naumburgh (cf). New Bremen is now a town of three hundred population on the Lowville and Beaver River R. R. The church was organized in 1855, and the last meeting of Consistory was held in 1876. The building was sold for $25 by the Board of Domestic Missions. The congregation was German, the minutes being kept in this language. The first church building was erected by the Lutherans (as was also the case at Naumburgh), but in 1873 Rev. Boehrer built a new church at a cost of $1,050, the Board of Domestic Missions giving $650 of this sum. Classis disbanded the church in 1900.
NEW RHINEBECK This was a German Reformed church at first, organized by Rev. J. C. L. Broeffle of the Schoharie church in 1788, and later merge into the present Lawyersville church. Durlach (Sharon) organize at the same time, and New Boston, a mission station, were all connected. The first settled pastor was Rev. Christian Bork, formerly a Prussian soldier under Burgoyne, and, later with Col. Willett, when the Indians were given their final scourging at Johnstown, and the Tories were driven forever from the Mohawk and Schoharie valleys. Rev. Mr. Bork began work here in July, 1795, though he was not installed till August 14, 1796. The church was one of the charter members of the Classis. In 1807 the Lutherans having demanded the church edifice, built in 1801, the Reformed church gave up the property. The church was a mile or more north of Lawyersville on part of Lot No. 11 of Jacob Borst. From the call to Rev. Mr Labagh in 1807, the congregation worshipped in the church a Lawyersville. In 1826 it was put into the Schoharie Classis. From 1798 to 1803, besides those above, Rev. Winslow Paige nd Rev Rynier Van Nest supplied. Rev. Mr. Labagh was first called to the church in 1803. In 1811 he desired to go to the Pompton, N. J church, but the churches (New Rhinebeck and Sharon) would not dismiss him. Five months later Classis dismissed him. In May, 1813, he came back for a second pastorate of a year and a half. Rev, Nicholas Jones was pastor for five years (1816-1821). Mr. Jones well illustrated the proverb about "man being born unto trouble". Consistory records and Classis records give him large space. In 1820 he was suspended. He did some work on the parsonage and with back salary made a demand for $1,770, but settled for $330.04. He later entered the Baptist church.
NEW YORK MILLS This church was organized in 1895. It was an Oneida county field. Rev. Jacob C. Bergmans was the pastor for six years after its formation. He came from the Congregational body, and on leaving New York Mills in 1901, he went to Gilboa.
NORTH HARLEM This church reported to the Montgomery Classis in 1820. It may be an error for New Harlem or Fonda's Bush (cf).
OPPENHEIM The town of Oppenheim was formed March 18, 1808, from the western part of the town of Palatine. In the Fonda records are three references between 1816 and 1822, anent the Oppenheim church. There were two churches organized, the first, the "St. John's Reformed church" in July 1816 which is the present St. Johnsville church (cf), and supplied by Rev. David De Voe for six years from 1816. Montgomery Classis received this church on February 11,1829, and De Voe continued to serve it until 1830. It was also called "Youker's Bush." De Voe ordained the first consistory at Peter Kline's house, January 4, 1822. This church had no building. Rev. John C. Van Derveer, a Missionary of the Classis (1822-1823), reported the Second Oppenheim church as "small and weak." On September 25, 1830, a Lutheran church was organized at Eukersbush (Youkers Bush). On May 15, 1855, this church was reorganized as a Reformed Dutch Lutheran Church and a building was erected in 1857. A second church was formed November 28 1821, and called the "Second Reformed church of Oppenheim." In 1826 a third society was formed. De Voe recorded not only the incorporation of these two churches, but the names of the consistories also.
OSQUAKO Originally in the Canajoharie district of Tryon Co. Later it was in the town of Stark (Herkimer Co.). We spell the name as found in the corporate title of the church though it is found as "Asquach","Osquak," etc. The meaning is said to be "under the bridge." The record is dated June 3, 1800, on file at Fonda. The church was in the town of Minden, the village being east of the creek near St. Johnsville. Another meaning of the Indian word is "place of wolves." Rev. Jonathan Morris (cf Amsterdam) preached here about 1823. At this time the consistory consisted of Peter Whitbeck, Anthony Devoe, Jacob S. Moyer and Peter W. Philip, elders, and Jacob J. Young, Lewis Young and Jacob F. Bronir, deacons. It was visited by Van Curler in 1655, and is a half mile west of Canajoharie creek. In August, 1780, the place was devastated by the Indians. John C. Wieting, a British prisoner (though German) at Saratoga, became an American citizen. He began an itinerant preaching circuit about Greenish, soon afterwards coming to the town of Minden where he established two churches (Lutheran), one at the "Squake" (Otsquago, Osquak, etc-cf), where he built a frame church near the source of the creek of that name; a second church was erected at Geissenberg ("Goat Hill") seven miles from the Squake church. The work was begun in 1750 by Domier (cf Palatine). This was a brick edifice, with galleries, high pulpit and sounding board, and was dedicated in 1806. It stood until 1849. A first church built here in 1767 was called "St. Paul's Lutheran church of Minden." Rev. Philip K. Krutz preached here, as also did Wieting, until his death in 1817. The work prospered for a few years and then ceased altogether. A Union church was organized in Minden in 1807, of which John Herkimer, Jacob Smith and Jacob Tarpenny were the trustees. The records of the Geissenberg church are in the Fort Plain Farmers National Bank. The place is now called Hallsville. John H. and Magdalena Walbracht gave a half acre of land in 1767 to the Osquako church. Mr. Pick was pastor.
EAST PALATINE In 1890 Rev. John A. Thomson (then pastor at Stone Arabia), began a work at East Palatine, the services being held in the school house in Schneck's Hollow, near the county house. Rev. Thomson continued to hold services from 1891 through 1894, when the work was given up.
PALATINE STONE CHURCH The town of Palatine was formed March 7 , 1778, and embraced all the county between "Anthony's Nose" and Little Falls, north to Canada. On January 2, 1804, a "St. John's Reformed Protestant Dutch church of Palatine" was organized (St. Johnsville). What is popularly called the "Palatine Stone Church" (Lutheran) in the town of Palatine became a member of the Montgomery Classis on February 2, 1825. The transfer of this organization from the Lutheran Synod to the Reformed Classis was brought about by Rev. Domier, who was at the Stone Arabia Lutheran church from 1811 through 1826, and who had trouble at the Palatine Stone church toward the close of his ministry there. Rev. Douw Van Olinda was called to the pastorate, but in February 14, 1825, it united with the old Canajoharie ("Sand Hill") church under one pastor. In 1830 the church is reported vacant and on February 7, 1832 Classis dissolved the organization, The property from the beginning had always been in the Lutheran body, and after the original organization there had been efforts made to increase the membership or re- elect the consistory though the congregation worshipped in the stone church. At Fonda a record (1820) of the Canajoharie and Palatine church whose trustees were Henry I. Frey, Alfred Conkling, Isaac Hees, John and George Getman. A Presbyterian church of Palatine was organized in 1823.
PERTH In the northeastern part of the town of Perth (now Fulton county and a part of the Royal Grant given Sir William Johnson) a Dutch Evangelical church was organized in 1867 with fifty members (Child's Gazette, 1830).
POINT ROCK This church was an out-station of the West Leyden church, and some seven miles from that church (Lewis Co.). It was organized in 1881,a nd supplied by Rev. John Reiner of the West Leyden church. In the late eighties the work was given up, the Methodists assuming charge of it, and are still conducting services there.
SACONDAGA It was also called "Ray," one of the original churches of the Montgomery Classis (1800), tho it was organized as early as 1789. The place was at first called "Concord." The names of the early pastors are not recorded, but doubtless, those serving Johnstown, Mayfield and Catighnawaga also frequently preached at Sacondaga. The later organization was in 1842, and the preachers were, Revs. John A. Lansing, Jacob N. Voorhis, Woodbridge L. James and Calvin Case (1855-1857). Sacandaga means "swamp."
SALISBURY In 1812 a Reformed Dutch church was formed in Salisbury, Herkimer county. It was a Congregational body at first. It was supplied by Rev. Samuel Ketchum during 1822-1823 and later, by Rev. David De Voe of St. Johnsville (cf). A Presbyterian church was incorporated here in 1803, to which in 1824 Classis dismissed the Dutch church, which became part of the Oneida Presbytery.
SCHOHARIE The first President of the Classis of Montgomery was the Rev. Rynier Vail Nest, the pastor of the Schoharie church. The place was also called, or at least, the church, "Huntersfield". Prior to its dismission to the Schoharie Classis in 1826, this church was pastored by Rev. Rynier Van Neste (until 1804), J. D. Schoeffler, and Paul Weidman. The organization of the church goes back to 1720 or 1725. The pastors at Schoharie were accustomed to preach at Stone Arabia after 1730.
SCHOHARIE KILL The place was also called "Conesville," and the church here was formed about 1800 or a little before, and continued until 1846. Rev. Cornelious D. Schermerhorn, ordained by Montgomery in 1804, was the pastor for twenty-eight years, from 1802 on. He died in 1830 at Canajoharie (cf Simms "Schoharie"). Doubtless this organization was placed in the Schoharie Classis in 1826, but no mention is made in the record. About the time of the Revolution the Reformed church on the Schoharie were known as "the churches of the little before, and continued until 1846. Rev. Cornelius D. Schermerhorn, ordained by Montgomery in 1804, was the pastor for twenty-eight years, from 1802 on. He died in 1830 at Canajoharie (cf Simins "Schoharie"). Doubtless this organization was placed in the Schoharie Classis in 1826, but no mention is made in the record. About the time of the Revolution the Reformed churches on the Schoharie were known as "the churches of the Schoharie Kill." Included in these were Brakabeen, North Blenheim, Gilboa (Broome), Prattsville, Red Oak, Huntersfield and Windham. The Prattsville minutes begin at 1798. The Gilboa record, the oldest of them all, bears the name of Broome, and those of Prattsville, "Schoharie Kill." This last church, built in 1804 and rebuilt in 1834, together with the village itself, will soon give place to the great reservoir being built for New York City.
SCHOHARIE LOWER organized in 1770 and the Schoharie church.
SCHOHARIE MOUNT Organized in 1808 and merged later later merged into near East Cobleskill, into the Howes Cave church. No names of pastors given while church was in the Montgomery Classis.
SCHOHARIE UPPER Organized in 1732, and later (after 1800) it changed its name to Middleburgh. Pastors up to 1826 were, Revs. Johannes Schuyler (cf Stone Arabia), Rynier Van Nest, David De Voe, and John F. Schermerhorn, the latter ordained by Montgomery Classis in 1816. Later and for some years Schermerhorn was the Montgomery County Missionary. From 1828 for five years he was the Secretary Board Domestic Missions. Rev. Mr. De Voe, though licensed in 1808, was not ordained until 1812 in order that be might study and better perfect himself for the ministry.
SCHUYLER This was a small organization in Herkimer county, between Herkimer and Frankfort, where Henry Snyder supplied for a few years about 1830.
SHARON An earlier name for this place was Dorlach. It is in the present town of Seward (Schoharie county). Rev. Peter N. Sommer of the Schoharie Lutheran church began to hold services here as early as 1776. The German Reformed church of Dorlach was formed in 1788 by Rev. J. C. L. Broeffle of the Schoharie German Reformed church. In 1790 a bell was given to the "High Dutch Reformed Church of Dorlach." But in 1798, Mr. Bork refused to remain longer at New Rhinebeck or Sharon, unless a church was built. Other preachers in this church were, Rev. Isaac Labagh, Rev. Nicholas Jones. In 1826 it went to the Schoharie Classis. In 1813 Sharon reported eighty members. Read the history of New Rhinebeck with that of Sharon. It was here that the Battle of Dorlach was fought on July 10, 1781, in which Capt. McKean was mortally wounded (cf Buel).
STILLWATER Another name for the church was the "Reformed Church of Sinthiock" (Sincock). It was organized in 1789 and ran through possibly, twenty years. It was a Saratoga county church and but two pastors are mentioned, Rev. Winslow Paige (cf Florida) and Rev. Peter D. Froeligh (1802 1807), who also supplied at the same time Pittstown and Tioshock. He was a son of Rev. Solomon Froeligh, and like his father, seceded from the church to form the "True Reformed" church. He died in 1827. It was at Stillwater where the American forces encamped before the Battle of Saratoga.
SUMMIT The Summit Reformed Dutch church was received into the Classis in 1823. It was situated at Eminence (Schoharie county). It never had any settled pastorate .
TILLABOROUGH The history of this church begins in 1767, when a grant of land was given (115 acres) for church and school purposes to encourage certain settlers who had been placed upon the contiguous territory'. The church was built on Lot No. 13 of Magin's Purchase. The place is about three miles west of the present village of Ephratah. One of the owners of the land, and one of the givers of this church tract was the Rev. John Ogilvie of New York City, who had been the rector of St. Peter's P. E. church of Albany (1749-1764). He died four years after this deed of land, aged fifty-one. Under the conditions existing in the province at the time between the Church of England and the Dutch church we are persuaded that there must have been some commercial reason for putting into the deed the pro vision that the church must be a Reformed one. The church for a century or more has always had a building, but never a stated pastor, and for most of the time no congregation. For more than three generations the property has been held by trustees who have used the same for personal profit. An incorporation is recorded April 15, 1823, and a form of re-incorporation in 1831. Since 1865 there has been no consistory or membership even. Nearly all the men who were at Stone Arabia, and later, at Ephratah, have supplied the church at intervals. In this field Revs. Domier, formerly at Stone Arabia Lutheran, and Wack, so long at "Sand Hill" (cf) finished their ministerial work. In order to hold the property the old church, falling to pieces, was taken down and another one built in the seventies. There is an old forsaken cemetery connected with the church.
Copyright © 1998, -- 2003. Berry Enterprises. All rights reserved. All items on the site are copyrighted. While we welcome you to use the information provided on this web site by copying it, or downloading it; this information is copyrighted and not to be reproduced for distribution, sale, or profit.