History From America's Most Famous Valleys
1. Hendrick Klock b 1663 d 1760
The name Hendrick appears under various spellings: Hendrik, Henry, Honorich, Henrich, Hans Hendrick and Heinrich. The will of this first one was signed Henry.
According to the Biographical Review of Madison Co., N.Y. published by The Biographical Review Publishing Co., of Boston,Mass., Hendrick came to America in 1704. This is confirmed by the 107 Joseph G. Klock Bible record.
Hendrick was known as an Indian trader, and later Yoeman from Schoharie. He secured Lot No. 13 of Harrison Patent, which adjoined that of Christian Nellis, who with his brother William were the first white settlers in and about the Palatine Church district, three miles east of St. Johnsville, NY., Portion of Contract reads as follows:
"August 26, 1725 Hendrick Klock and Christian House jointly purchased from Harmanus Wendell of Albany, lot No. 13 of the Harrison Patent consisting of 650 A of land - a reservation of one acre of land in a square by the vendor points to the old church yard which conforms to this description as I have stated in a former article - Harmanus Wendell died before execution of the deed and August 24, 1732 lot No. 13 was deeded to Hendrick Klock by Jacob Wendell and his mother Anna Wendell and on May 24, 1743 Hendrick Walrath deeded by quit claim deed to Hendrick Klock his interest in lot No. 13- described in the deed as the lowermost half and bounded on one side by lot No. 12 owned by Christian Nellis, (Sr.) etc".
Hendrick's two daughters, Barvalis (Barbara) and Magdalena, married the two Nellis pioneers, Christian and William, thus uniting these families by a double tie. (Palatine Church Pamphlet).
Hendrick was a friend of King Hendrick, Mohawk Chieftain.
Hendrick took the oath of naturalization in Albany, N.Y. October 11th, 1715, which made it legally possible for his children to inherit his estate.
In the genealogy of the line of Hendrick Klock recorded in the Library of the State of New York in Albany, the wives of Hendrick (b 1663 d 1760) are given as Maria Margaretha and Jacomynitie listed carelessly as wife of the father, when as matter of fact she was the wife of the son and was so named in his will, made in Canajohaire, N.Y. and dated 5-14-1759. The will of the son is recorded under the name of Henry Clock and his descendants in this line have continued the "C" spelling.
The original will of the father, Hendrick, was found by S 0 K in the "Normander Papers" and given to Mr. Milo Nellis by the widow of S 0 K.
Jacob, as executor of the will, was instructed to pay to each of seven children five pounds in money --- the four older upon the expiration of one year after his death and the three younger when each had reached twenty-one years of age.
Jacob was to give to the three younger children "each & either, 3 horses, 2 cows, 2 sheep, and when each marrys, 1 suit of wedding clothes from head to foot, to them" - (the obligation void if each or either dies before reaching twenty-one years of age.)
Magdalena was not mentioned in the will.
Mr. Paul Prindle, genealogist of New York, N.Y. reasons that Hendrick had only nine children. The name Hannarum appears only in the July 12th, 1743 will of Hendrick, in which Adam's name does not appear. The name Hannarum is a contraction of Johan and Adam.
Col. Jacob Klock has been thought to have been the oldest child of Hendrick, but on the list of 23 who swore the oath of naturalization on the 3rd day of January 1715 or 1716, was Hans Hendrick, later known as Henry, and as Honorich, Jr., who, to smear to that oath, had to be at least twenty-one years of age, so Honorich, Jr. was born prior to 1695. Certainly, says Mr. Prindle, in a letter to H L C W 2-20-1950, the first Hendrick's son was born by the time Hendrick was thirty-five, Here is evidence that Fhans Hendrick (Henry, Honorich, Jr.) was older than Col. Jacob, who couldn't have been older than eighty- two when he was on active duty at Oriskany.
Simendinger Register gives the first wife of Hendrick as Maria Margaretga and that he had four wives and survived the last one fifteen years.
"Early Palatine Emigration" by Knittle gives: From Quunsburg-Palatine: "Heinrich Klock- Margaretha & four children": This would indicate that Honorich, Jr., Jacob (later the Col.), Barvalis (Barbara) and Johannes, if that is the proper listing of order of birth, were born before the family moved to Canajoharie, N.Y. from the place they, excepting Honorich, Jr., went to the Palatine Church district, three miles east of St. Johnsville, N.Y. Since the will of Henry (Honorich, Jr.) Was made in Canajoharie, it is evident that he remained there.
All but one of Hendrick's sons were in the War of the Revolution and are named in the lists of Col. Jacob Klock's Reg's, the 2nd Tryon Co., New York State Militia.
Mr. Silbert (Bert) Klock of St. Johnsville, N.Y. writes in a letter to Mrs. Reba C. Helligas, Acting Librarian of Herkimer County Historical Society Library, that he has a copy" of St. John's Reformed Church, the first building erected by Hendrick Klock and later in a letter to H L C W, says that by a "copy" he referred to a book edited by a former pastor of St. Johnsville Reformed Church which has mainly to do with the church and its history. The church stood a short distance east from St. Johnsville on what is now known as the "Old Klock" cemetery property, which overlooks the Mohawk river and adjoins the property of Mr. Milo Nellis. H L C W and Mr. Williams saw this book when they called upon Bert Klock in August, 1951.
Mr. Milo Nellis of St. Johnsville, N.Y. is a descendant of Col. Jacob Klock, son of Pioneer Hendrick. He is the writer of the article in the "Old Palatine Church" pamphlet on these early families, giving many names in their successions. He was a very great help to this compiler, giving many facts and names of the forbears of Johann George Clock (George H. ) and displaying much patience with a novice genealogist.
In the Quinby-Underhill articles by Mr. Nellis in Ent & News 7-5 and 7-12-1951 he says that Moses Quinby came to St. Johnsville in 1853 and purchased an 8 acre tract of land, lying just eastward of the village, which included the burial ground and original site of the earliest church in this vicinity, long known as Klock's church. (The St. John's Dutch Reformed Church moved to its present location in St. Johnsville in 1804). Here Moses Quinby began his life work at Bee-keeping which he pursued so successfully as to establish himself as the father of the American Bee Industry. Quoting further: "On the death of Mr. Quinby, he home was acquired by James D. and Rueben Nellis, and in this park of Quimby's creation the writer (Mr. Nellis) grew up, and, following the death of James D., father of Mr. Nellis, the Quinby home became his home for nine years".
In a letter to H L C W from Mr. Nellis 2-25-1951 he says that this Old KIock cemetery property is, he believes, the most historic acre west of Schenectday. Mr. Nellis also says he has an idea that Hendrick was on this land long before he was able to get a legal title to it, which was in 1725. Mr. Nellis has undertaken twice to have this cemetery preserved but the ownner, one Smith, refuses to sell. Further stated is an idea that the old church has probably as good or better title to the cemetery property than Smith, since is was reserved in the original deed of 1725 and its cultivation prohibited in deeds down to Mr. Nellis' time, but no actual deed of ownership by the church exits. So the cemetery, as Mr. Nellis says "has grown up with brush and weeds and the stones are broken and disappear and no one seems to be able to do anything about it". H L C W and Mr. Williams were shown this cemetery on one of their trips east, and made their way through the weeds to see the tombstones.
The Moses Quinby who purchased land and cemetery property of the Nellis family at St. Johnsville, was a descendant of the William Quinby who came from England about 1638 and who settled, with his son John, in Westchester Co., N.Y. The son John had a son John and a son Josiah. Moses descended from Josiah. From Josiah's brother John descended the Quinbys of New Jersey. One of these descendants was Hannah Quinby, who married Daniel Williams, who moved to Ohio and were progenitors of Dan F. Williams who married H L C W. Hannah and Moses were each of the 8th generation.
1.Hendrick Klock,* Pioneer, sleeps in the Old Klock cemetery, east of St.Johnsville, N.Y. His gravestone says simply;
H K 1760
Because of the lack of records of early times, the chronological order of the births of the children of the first Hendrick Klock cannot be definitely established. A probable list of the children is as follows:
2. I. Honorich, Jr. **
3. II. Jacob, later the Col. **
4. III. Barvalia (Barbara) b 1697 m Christian Nellise, Pioneer, 2-29-1718 Sup#2, Bible record) - d 1771 (Ft. Plain Ref Ch record Vol. 1, pg 84, a tombstone record).
Ch: SURNAME NELLIS
4 A Christian, Jr. Revolutionary hero, b 1734 d 11-6-1807
m Christiana Keyser
4 B Catharine m I. Leonard Helmer, ch: SURNAME HELMER: 4 B a Philip
m 2. Col. Jacob Klock no ch a h
d 8-20-1805 aged 81 yrs 7 mos. 2 days (tombstone record)
4 c Adam
4 D George
4 E Theobald, also called Dewalt
4 F Henry
4 G Hannah (Anna) m 28 Jacob G. Klock, ch under his name.
5. IV. Johannes **
6. V Johanguergh (George, known as Old George)**
7. VI. Conrad **
8. VII Adam**
9.VIII. Honjost (John Joseph)**
10: IX. Magdalena m Wm. Nellis, Pioneer and brother of Christian.
ch: SURNAME NELLIS, (0 P C record).
10 A Wm.,Jr. m Maria Salstman ch: 10 A a John W.
10 B Hendrick W.
10 C Johannes
10 D Andreas (Andrew)
10 E Ludwig
10 F a dau (d 6-5-1748) who m a son of Peter Woermuth and had a son Lt Woermuth who was killed by Brandt, Indian Chief: June 1778 at Cherry Valley.
* Name occasionally written Glock.
Copyright © 1998, -- 2003. Berry Enterprises. All rights reserved. All items on the site are copyrighted. While we welcome you to use the information provided on this web site by copying it, or downloading it; this information is copyrighted and not to be reproduced for distribution, sale, or profit.