Three Rivers
History From America's Most Famous Valleys

William Johnson selected, in 1749, a site along the Kayerderosseras. It still bears the name of Fort Johnson. The solid stone building that became the First Baronial mansion upstate was the scene of much social activity despite its wilderness setting.

Here were held many of the important conferences of the French and Indian Wars. When the baronet moved to Johnstown in 1762, Fort Johnson was taken over by his son, Sir John Johnson. The historic property was purchased in 1905 by a descendant of the younger Lady Johnson and presentation was made to the Montgomery County Historical Society that continues maintenance.


Contents Introduction Links Home