History From America's Most Famous Valleys
History of Montgomery Classis, R.C.A.
by W.N.P. Dailey,
Recorder Press, Amsterdam, NY 1916
To which is added sketches of Mohawk Valley men and events of early days, the Iroquois, Palatines, Indian Missions, Tryon County, committee of Safety, Sir Wm. Johnson, Joseph Brant, Arendt Van Curler, Gen. Herkimer, Reformed Church in America, Doctrine and Progress, Revolutionary Residences, Etc.
Cayuga and Geneva Classes
In 1826 the Particular Synod of Albany formed the Classis of Cayuga by setting off seven churches from the Classis of Montgomery, as follows: Cato, Chittenango, Lysander, Ovid, Owasco, Sand Beach, Six Mile Creek. Of these seven churches Owasco and Sand Beach (Owasco Outlet) are now in the Montgomery Classis. The other five are extinct or are merged into other churches (cf). When Cayuga Classis was disbanded in 1889 Chittenango was put back into Montgomery. In 1851 Cato was put into the newly formed Classis of Geneva, but is dropped from the roll of churches in 1884. Ovid, divided by the Brokaw secession of 1826, was finally merged into Lodi. Lysander became Congregational in 1883. Six Mile Creek had but a brief existence (1827-1831). In 1835 the Particular Synod of Albany sought to form a new Classis, to be called "The Classis of Oneida." From the Classis of Cayuga were to be taken Chittenango, Canastota, Jamesville, Lysander and Utica, while from Montgomery were to be taken Frankfort, Herkimer, Columbia, St. Johnsville and Manheim. Though referred to several succeeding synods the plan of the Classis makers never materialized. In 1851 the Particular Synod of Albany, on request of the Cayuga Classis reformed that body, making the Classis of Cayuga to consist of Chittenango, Cleveland, Canastota, Cicero, Owasco, Lysander, Sand Beach, Syracuse, Utica. The statistical tables of 1852 add the church of The Thousand Isles. Of these churches, Canastota, Chittenango, Cicero, Owasco, Owasco Outlet (Sand Beach), Syracuse, Thousand Isles and Utica were put into the Montgomery Classis when the Cayuga Classis was disbanded in 1889. Of the other two churches that at Lysander, organized in 1826 by the Classis of Cayuga, joined with the Presbyterian church of the same place, and formed a Congregational church about 1883. The church at Cleveland (Oswego Co.) organized in 1850, became Presbyterian in 1856. In 1889 the Classis of Cayuga was disbanded, its churches being placed in the Montgomery Classis. The churches received by Montgomery Classis were Canastota, Chittenago, Cicero, Lysander, Naumburgh, New Bremen, Point Rock, Owasco, Owasco Outlet, Syracuse, Thousand Isles, Utica, and West Leyden. Other churches which were in membership in the Cayuga Classis before the Classis of Geneva was formed in 1851, were as follows: Arcadia, Caroline, Farmerville, Gorham, Geneva, Ithaca, Jamesville, Lodi, Tyre, Piffardinia, Wolcott. Of these churches Arcadia, Caroline, Farmerville, Geneva, Gorham, Ithaca, Piffardinia, Tyre and Wolcott were placed in the Geneva Classis when formed in May, 1851. Unless referred
The Churches and Ministry of the Classes of Cayuga and Geneva, being more or less associated with those of Montgomery, are included, with brief reference, in these records. The printed Particular Synod of Albany Minutes, except a few copies found by the writer, are lacking for the first twenty years, and for the next forty years they are cruelly condensed (for history's sake), and typographically much in error.
to in this part of the record that has to do with the Cayuga and Geneva Classes, the churches mentioned above or below will be found in the Montgomery Classis lists.
The Particular Synod of Albany in 1851 organized the Classis of Geneva, making it to consist of the following churches: Arcadia, Caroline, Cato, Farmerville, Geneva, Gorham, Ithaca, Piffardinia, Tyre Wolcott. In the statistical tables of 1852 (P. S. A. Minutes) are added Lodi, Pultneyville and Waterloo. Corwin's Digest adds Buffalo, Clymer and Rochester, though these do not occur in the statistics until 1853. In this same year Cataline (error for Caroline) is added and Gorham and Piffardinia are dropped. In 1887 the Classis of Geneva was disbanded, the churches going into the recently formed Classis of Rochester. At this time the Classis of Geneva had these churches in membership: Abbe, Clymer, Farmer Village, Marion, Pultneyville, Arcadia, Dunkirk, Geneva, Mina, Rochester, Caroline, East Williamson, Lodi, Ontario, Tyre. There were two thousand members in these churches and fifteen hundred in the Sunday schools. Fifteen ministers were members and $11,000 was raised for congregational expenses during the year previous to disbanding. In 1887 the Particular Synod of Albany organized the Classis of Rochester, to take the place of the Classis of Geneva. The churches forming the Classis of Rochester were as follows: Abbe, Arcadia, Clymer, East Williamson, Farmer Village, Geneva, Lodi, Marion, Dunkirk, Pultneyville, Palmyra, Rochester, First and Second Tyre, Ontario. Of these churches Lodi and Farmer Village (Interlaken) are now in Montgomery Classis. Dunkirk, organized in 1867, vacant for three fourths of its nominal existence, was dropped in 1888. Geneva was disbanded when the Classis of Rochester was formed. The rest of the above named churches are now in Rochester Classis. Other churches which were in membership in the Geneva Classis, not mentioned elsewhere, were as follows: Buffalo and Buffalo Holland (1856), Mina Corners (1857), Athens, Pa. (1859).
Copyright © 1998, -- 2003. Berry Enterprises. All rights reserved. All items on the site are copyrighted. While we welcome you to use the information provided on this web site by copying it, or downloading it; this information is copyrighted and not to be reproduced for distribution, sale, or profit.