History From America's Most Famous Valleys
William Feeter History and Genealogy
Book loaned by Nancy Cioch. Many thanks Nancy!
History of William Feeter, A Soldier in the War of American Independence
and of His Father, Lucas Vetter, the ancestor of the Feeter-Feder-Feader-Fader families
IN THE UNITED STATES AND CANADA, with genealogy of the family compiled at the request of
JAMES D. FEETER, by John B. Koetteritz, MEMBER HERKIMER COUNTY HISTORICAL SOCIETY.
Little Falls, N.Y. Press of Stebbins & Burney, 1901
Copyright by James D. Feeter, 1901
DEATH OF JOHN FEETER
Aged and Highly respected Resident of Little Falls Passes Away
A Worthy Son of a Patriotic Sire.
Little Falls, May 22, 1892.
The venerable John Feeter passed away at 7:45 Saturday morning at his home on Burwell Street, death having been caused by old age. He had been failing in health for the past few months and was confined in bed only four days. He was conscious up to Thursday night and had lucid intervals from that time to the end. Death came peacefully, and thus passed away another citizen whose life had been part of the history of Little Falls and Manheim. He is survived by his wife, Nancy Failing, aged 82 years, and the following children: Jacob Feeter, a prominent lawyer of New York, Mrs. Margaret Alden, Mrs. Gertrude Crittenden, Mrs. Mary Easterbrook, New Haven, Conn., Mrs. Parmelia French, Buffalo, and Mrs. Cynthia Walker, Utica. Also seven grandchildren and nine great-grandchildren. "Uncle John" Feeter, as he was familiarly known, was born at the old Feeter homestead, now known as the Goodell and Pickett farms, in the town of Manheim, November 30, 1804. He was the eleventh child of Colonel William Feeter and wife, and was the last of that remarkable and historic family of twelve children. He was married to Nancy Failing of St. Johnsville, September 17, 1829, and they lived together over 63 years. Mrs. Feeter, who survives, passed her 82d milestone May 13. Mr. Feeter followed farming a number of years and came to this village 31 years ago and did considerable contracting. He built the highway leading to Timmerman's hotel and set out the large trees that surround Eastern Park. He also assisted in the building of the Old Yellow Tavern Church. His brother, Adam Feeter was the first post-rider between Newport and Albany, and for two years he father, Colonel Feeter, who was a close friend of General Herkimer, Maintained the expense of this ancient mail service. The federal government recognized his valuable services and subsequently awarded a contract for conveying the mail, which was continued by the family for many years. When Adam Feeter died the funeral services were held at the Manheim Center Church. The late Judge Beardseley, who was in attendance at the conclusion of the services, arose in his place and paid a high tribute to the deceased for the many kind and brave acts that he had performed.
Colonel Feeter, the father of this large family, was one of the bravest patriots in this section during and before the Revolutionary period. He was a warm friend of Sir William Johnson but espoused the federal cause. He belonged to the corps of forty picked man, who were known as the Tryon County Bull Dogs. There were other Feeters living here then, who were the followers of Brant, the Indian sachem, and fled to Canada, where they remained and slightly changed their name by prefixing a Mc. This change of name is denied by the Canadian branches. Still there is some evidence that one part of the family adopted the Mc. Their descendants are now numerous in Canada. Uncle John had an old flint lock musket he prized very highly that was carried by his father during the Revolution. It is in an excellent state of preservation, and it was his habit for more than twenty-five years to load the gun on the first day of January and fire it precisely at seven o'clock in the morning. On the stock of the gun there is a breastplate embedded which contains the following inscription: "Presented to Colonel Feeter by Henry Yauney of Johnstown during the first year of the Revolutionary War and carried by him during the seven years' war."
Uncle John also had another gun that had a history. It was one that the famous hunter "Nat" Foster shot the Indians with in the north woods and was used by him for many years as a trapper and hunter.
The record of the Lutheran Church in Manheim kept by Colonel Feeter between the years 1812 and 1844, and preserved by John Feeter up to the time of his death, will be turned over to the Church for future reference. The corporate name was changed to the Franckean Lutheran in 1832. A new church is not built on the site and the pulpit is supplied by Rev. Mr. Young. The record book of births and baptisms as started by Colonel Feeter is quite valuable and is as frequently referred to as the old record of Rev. A. G. Rosencrantz.
The first records are "William Feeter, born Feb. 12, 1756; Elizabeth Bellinger, (his wife), born March 23, 1765." This last record is, "George Willard, baptized July 10, 1845. Parents, John F. Windecker, Laney his wife. Sponsors, William Hayes and wife."
There are but few old families in town that are not related to the deceased and the aggregate of relations if counted would figure in the hundreds. The late Hon. James Feeter was his nephew.
The funeral will be held from the house Wednesday, at 2 P. M., Rev. C. S. Richardson officiating. Between the hours of 12 and 1 P.M. an opportunity will be given to all those who desire to see the remains.
Return to opening page of book
Copyright © 1998, -- 2003. Berry Enterprises. All rights reserved. All items on the site are copyrighted. While we welcome you to use the information provided on this web site by copying it, or downloading it; this information is copyrighted and not to be reproduced for distribution, sale, or profit.